Time Half Ends

vimpe22

Referees in Sri Lanka
Post Likes
Scenario. Attacking team Blue drives into in goal. The referee whistles and signals ball held in goal. Then he blows for full time.

Question. Is the ball dead in terms of the law to whistle for end of half.

Explanation . Definition : the ball is dead when the referee blows the whistle to stop play. ……..

Time Law . 5. 7
  1. half ends when the ball becomes dead after time has expired unless:
    1. A scrum, lineout or restart kick following a try or touchdown, awarded before time expired, has not been completed and the ball has not returned to open play. This includes when the scrum, lineout or restart kick is taken incorrectly.
    2. The referee awards a free-kick or penalty.
    3. A penalty is kicked into touch without the ball first being tapped and without the ball touching another player.
    4. A try has been scored, in which case the referee allows time for the conversion to be taken.

a . The restart for the ball held is a goal line drop out,.
this is a restart . Therefore the
referee can blow end of half.

would like any observation.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
If time is up before you blow for held up in goal, the half is over.
No time to restart unless Blue is playing under advantage.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If time is up before you blow for held up in goal, the half is over.
No time to restart unless Blue is playing under advantage.
End of half ... Even if Blue playing under advantage

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
But you would be wrong .. .so don't play advantage too long ...

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
How can you state with confidence that I would be wrong?
Very arrogant of you!

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
And go back for a scrum for a KO that happened before the 40 were up if you did not think that advantage had accrued.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
And go back for a scrum for a KO that happened before the 40 were up if you did not think that advantage had accrued.
I thought we'd recently done this to death and the consensus was that knock-on, advantage played, clock goes red, no advantage, whistle blown, game/half over ?

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
No, only some of those present thought that, but claimed that was the only view. For me it would be difficult to deny a scrum for a KO during play, just because time was up a second or so before I blew my whistle. Whether you think sufficient advantage has been gained is another matter and I do think that getting over the line (even although it was held up) in many circumstances will be KO advantage over.

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I thought we'd recently done this to death and the consensus was that knock-on, advantage played, clock goes red, no advantage, whistle blown, game/half over ?
It was discussed, but nothing was presented that was definitive. Just opinions on how one would ref it. Personally for scrum advantage if there's no advantage after about 10 seconds I'll blow up for the scrum. Chances are I'll have shouted advantage over very shortly after this, if I've not stopped the match. The offence has occurred during time so I, like Pinky would come back for the knock on. Bearing mind that if the knock on happens and the team get past the offence line and over the try line, that's likely to be advantage over as they've had the chance to score.

Mipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
It was discussed, but nothing was presented that was definitive. Just opinions on how one would ref it. Personally for scrum advantage if there's no advantage after about 10 seconds I'll blow up for the scrum. Chances are I'll have shouted advantage over very shortly after this, if I've not stopped the match. The offence has occurred during time so I, like Pinky would come back for the knock on. Bearing mind that if the knock on happens and the team get past the offence line and over the try line, that's likely to be advantage over as they've had the chance to score.
Exactly this.

Surely as the ref at our levels, you would not want to finish the game on an advantage. I too would definitely come back for the knock-on, it would be crazy to do anything else.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Of course, it is only an issue if the result of the match could alter, including a side scoring a bonus. If the result is settled, the players probably would not care. Position on the pitch matters too, if the attacking team knock on five metres out, the defending team probably were not going to score in one phase. Even if they are behind, they are probably just glad the other side have not scored.

And for most games, sir is the only person who knows exactly what the watch says. Scrum advantage should not be more than a few seconds.