Worcs v Quins - is it in or outside the 22 then?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I will as I respect you all.

but I would like to say that soemthing somewhere went very wrong, and the To3s actions did permit one side to at best bend the rules. And I am uncofortable with that. Hope that is more acceptable but I cant think of a better way of putting my doscomfort.
I suspect Ridley was simply treating this as 'carried back', made that clear to Quins, and would not have allowed gain in ground from a kick.

If that was the case, then nothing untoward happened (and explains why the quins kick didn't make touch)

But we'll never know for sure.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I suspect Ridley was simply treating this as 'carried back', made that clear to Quins, and would not have allowed gain in ground from a kick.

If that was the case, then nothing untoward happened (and explains why the quins kick didn't make touch)

But we'll never know for sure.
indeed. because he didn't choose to make that clear even though he did choose to make clear Quins had elected to move the lineout inside their 22.

its still... messy.

Im assuming thus far that there is no law reference or clarification that permits the throwing team to move the LoT towards their own try line. I am really struggling as to how this is ever permissible - aside from of course its show biz rugby and they all just make it up as they go along :)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If a lineout is marked about a foot from a convenient line I am going to move it to put one of the teams on that line.
That's the way I have always been taught to do it. It makes life so much easier.

If the two set of players line up to on side of the mark it's easier to move the hooker than to move 14 or so people.

We just want to get the ball back into play.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
i agree with that - but being careful not move the lineout across the 22m or half way lines... when it would be material. Which is didds' point

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
i agree with that - but being careful not move the lineout across the 22m or half way lines... when it would be material. Which is didds' point
indeed. because it changes the potential outcome of the next/subsequent plays.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
The close 50/22 is a nightmare in the weeds. The worst case scenario is when the club touch judge stands on the 22!
It is amazing how many times in mid field that a line out happens to be exactly on the half way line or the 10 meter lines, great for setting the line but not in the 22.
I had one on Saturday. Home team put in a long clearance kick, not specifically going for a 50/22 but it was close. I thought it made it but wasn't close enough to be sure. Home linesman was even further away and gave it a metre outside the 22 so we went with that. Didn't matter on the day as home team won easily but it could have been crucial.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
exacerbated by the potential of that TJ being a tad "helpful" to "his/her" team when choosing where the LoT is in such circumstanmces

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
The close 50/22 is a nightmare in the weeds. The worst case scenario is when the club touch judge stands on the 22!
It is amazing how many times in mid field that a line out happens to be exactly on the half way line or the 10 meter lines, great for setting the line but not in the 22.
I had one on Saturday. Home team put in a long clearance kick, not specifically going for a 50/22 but it was close. I thought it made it but wasn't close enough to be sure. Home linesman was even further away and gave it a metre outside the 22 so we went with that. Didn't matter on the day as home team won easily but it could have been crucial.

At least the linesman made a call that did not benefit his own team... always makes the situation less awkward for the ref.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
When it was first suggested and then implemented I said that we needed a flag actually on the line to get over such problems. Just as we have on the in-goal corner. I believe one of the reasons we had a corner flag orignally was to determine where the ball rolled so what’s the difference?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
When it was first suggested and then implemented I said that we needed a flag actually on the line to get over such problems. Just as we have on the in-goal corner. I believe one of the reasons we had a corner flag orignally was to determine where the ball rolled so what’s the difference?
I agree.