Wales v Italy

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
well done Italy on their win.

I'm interested in the incident right at the end of the 1st half where there is a contest in the air and the MOs conclude that there is foul play because the Italian player interferes with and pulls down the Welsh player in the air. The Welsh player lands on his back.

Now, if he'd landed on his head or neck it would (I presume) be a red card. He lands on his back and it is awarded as a penalty only. What circumstance, then, would warrant a yellow card?

I got the impression that the MOs lost patience with reviewing for a try, etc and just wanted to go back for a previous infringement.

PS: and why were the Welsh subs warming up behind the in-goal that Wales was defending? Surely they should be up t'other end

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
well done Italy on their win.

PS: and why were the Welsh subs warming up behind the in-goal that Wales was defending? Surely they should be up t'other end

I remember the All Blacks deciding to warn up behind the posts while Wilkinson was lining up a PK at that goal. The crowd started booing, but Jonny scored anyway.

Yes, indeed. Brilliant try by Italy.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
so maybe we can add to "don't issue a YC when a try is scored" with "don't issue a YC if you're going back to an earlier penalty"

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
This started in 2020 .. it's a COVID precaution that has stuck. Teams now warm up in their own in goal

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I remember the All Blacks deciding to warn up behind the posts while Wilkinson was lining up a PK at that goal. The crowd started booing, but Jonny scored anyway.

Yes, indeed. Brilliant try by Italy.
after that WR switched it, so that teams warmed up in the opponents in goal .. then in 2020 with COVID they switched it back again
There is possibly a regualtion / protocol about when PKS are taking place

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
after that WR switched it, so that teams warmed up in the opponents in goal .. then in 2020 with COVID they switched it back again
There is possibly a regualtion / protocol about when PKS are taking place
Ahh, covid precautions. Cause spending 80 minutes smashing into each other, laying on the floor with the other team and the two front rows pretty well face to face are completely sterile environments...

Our guys were told that shaking hands after the match was considered a high risk vector for covid transmission...

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
so maybe we can add to "don't issue a YC when a try is scored" with "don't issue a YC if you're going back to an earlier penalty"
Interesting concept, but I don't think we'd ignore a YC for foul play against a blue player just because a red player copped a YC in a following handbags session. I wonder if a judiciary would consider an argument against a RC related suspension based on the referee not blowing up other foul play early enough and losing control of the players.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It was a bit different to that. Ref was playing advantage for an offside by Wales. During a contest for a high ball, MOs deemed that the Italian player committed foul play by interfering with the Welsh player in the air such that the Welsh player landed on his back. Just came back for the offside penalty.