Training on a bike

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
I have a problem with my hips that means I cant do much running for training.

I've been told to keep my running to match days only.

I've recently bought a turbo trainer for my bike and signed up to Zwift, what kind of training on the bike would be best to keep me fit for reffing ?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
back in the day when I was doing long distance triathlon, I recall reading that there really wasn't much cross over benefit from cycling to running. In summary cycle training worked well for cycling, and running training worked well for running. And swim training was hugely beneficial as all round body health but of no benefit at all to improve running and cycling (including VO2 max and all that voodoo!)

Of course in the intervening decade that may have been poo-pooed.
Id really suggest asking whoever the Dr/consultant/physio etc was that said keep running to match days what they suggest as decent training for your required running as a ref - and DYOR and go prepared (if my decade old info is correct) if they say "ride a bike". Understandbly they arent necessarily sports scientists.

good luck.

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have a problem with my hips that means I cant do much running for training.

I've been told to keep my running to match days only.

I've recently bought a turbo trainer for my bike and signed up to Zwift, what kind of training on the bike would be best to keep me fit for reffing ?
Contact Ross Hanbury .. you ll find him on Facebook

But I think I can safely say the answer will revolve around interval training