7s speed/sprint program

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
As a referee, my goal within the next year is to get an invite to the regional 7s circuit/series. In speaking with the assigner (who observed my most recent match), his response was to work on my sprinting, as the top speed I was hitting was not where it should be for high-level 7s.

If anyone can point me in the direction of drills or a detailed program for improving top speed, I would be greatly appreciative.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
What level are you starting from? The training to get from beginner to basics is different to that to get from intermediate to advanced.

If you're a beginner, I'd recommend getting a coach or going to an athletics club. It's like rugby - gaining muscle with bad technique is a lot of work for little gain.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
What level are you starting from? The training to get from beginner to basics is different to that to get from intermediate to advanced.

If you're a beginner, I'd recommend getting a coach or going to an athletics club. It's like rugby - gaining muscle with bad technique is a lot of work for little gain.

I've had sprint-focused coaching before, and have improved my running mechanics accordingly.

What I'm looking for right now is a "regimen" to improve over time. I have a running regimen right now that gradually swings the focus between longer and shorter distances, but would like to switch to one that's more in-depth on the sprinting side.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I've had sprint-focused coaching before, and have improved my running mechanics accordingly.

What I'm looking for right now is a "regimen" to improve over time. I have a running regimen right now that gradually swings the focus between longer and shorter distances, but would like to switch to one that's more in-depth on the sprinting side.
If you are looking at breaking into elite/high levels I'd be speaking with an exercise scientist or exercise physiologist who can set you up with an appropriate structured regime rather than take advice from the net.