From JPN vs AUS game

Akira Nonaka

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
This is a clip from Japan vs Australia game on Oct. 1 in Tokyo. Can someone explain/guess why this is a penalty?

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
IMO

14.8c - Gold 23 plays the ball not having arrived from the correct direction

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Seems reasonable to me.
I think the referee uses the words "offside in the tackle area"....while not technically a correct description it gets the point made.

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
It looks like thats what he's given it for although I'm not sure if thats the correct interpretation. Although its not a great camera angle, it seems to me the ball has gone loose from the tackle (potentially forward as it wasn't ripped) and Gold 23 has played it as it bounced. Had it still been in possession of the tackled player as he went to ground Gold would have had to join from his own side but in effect he is playing a loose ball albeit close to the tackled area. Happy to be corrected though

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I thought that was quite a tough PK.
No offside line formed
Ball is popped up out of the tackle area, so tackle is over

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Ball carrier gets tackled. Tackler grts back to his feet and positions himself over the ball carrier and the ball.
This creates offside lines.

Yellow 23 (I think) arrives and as the ball carrier pops the ball up, he receives it in an offside position.

Law 14.10
Offside lines are created at a tackle when at least one player is on their feet and
over the ball, which is on the ground. Each team’s offside line runs parallel to
the goal line through the hindmost point of any player in the tackle or on their
feet over the ball. If that point is on or behind the goal line, the offside line for
that team is the goal line.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I thought that was quite a tough PK.
No offside line formed
Ball is popped up out of the tackle area, so tackle is over
Well it depends whether the ball was popped up as you say or lost in the tackle as others seem to think.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well it depends whether the ball was popped up as you say or lost in the tackle as others seem to think.
i'm not sure it makes any difference? .... ball came out of the tackle area, so tackle is over.

(Unless you think the australian tackler knocked the ball forward, in which case simple offside)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
i'm not sure it makes any difference? .... ball came out of the tackle area, so tackle is over.

(Unless you think the australian tackler knocked the ball forward, in which case simple offside)

The tackler was on his feet over the ball before the ball popped out, so offside lines had already been created.

After that anyone playing the ball or entering the tackel area had to do so from their own side. Yellow 23 didn't do that, so was offside.

You can see the referee signalling that the player didn't enter from his own side.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ball carrier gets tackled. Tackler grts back to his feet and positions himself over the ball carrier and the ball.
This creates offside lines.

Yellow 23 (I think) arrives and as the ball carrier pops the ball up, he receives it in an offside position.
yes, OK.

Interesting one though - 14.10 was created after that England v Italy game - with the purpose that that the ball carrying team would be able to able to create an offside line at a tackle, and prevent the tackling team from coming round.

Here you are saying that we have a tackler creating an offside line, with the only impact being that he put his own team mates offside. An unintended consequence?

Last edited:

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Even before the 'TWOL' became law it was illegal to enter the tackle zone from the wrong side. It was once legal for a tackler to get back on their feet and play the ball from the 'wrong' side but even that is now illegal.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
yes, OK.

Interesting one though - 14.10 was created after that England v Italy game - with the purpose that that the ball carrying team would be able to able to create an offside line at a tackle, and prevent the tackling team from coming round.

Here you are saying that we have a tackler creating an offside line, with the only impact being that he put his own team mates offside. An unintended consequence?

Not unintended at all....this is the whole point of the law!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Assuming it was a penalty, Gold 23 was very lucky not to be binned given field position with Japan in attack

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Even before the 'TWOL' became law it was illegal to enter the tackle zone from the wrong side. It was once legal for a tackler to get back on their feet and play the ball from the 'wrong' side but even that is now illegal.
yes, but the ball had left the tackle, so tackle over, so he didn't enter the tackle zone

the logic is
- he was put offside by his team mate who created a TWOL
- he never managed to get onside before receiving the ball (he's a 'lazy' runner)

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Not unintended at all....this is the whole point of the law!
the law was to enable the ball carriers (England) to create a TWOL to stop the tackling side (Italy) from coming round offside

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
the law was to enable the ball carriers (England) to create a TWOL to stop the tackling side (Italy) from coming round offside
Indeed...I misread your post.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
IMO

14.8c - Gold 23 plays the ball not having arrived from the correct direction
This for me, regardless of any offside lines. Whilst the tackle is still occurring he is moving close enough to it not from the direction of his own goal line. Unfairly preventing quick use of the ball post-tackle, which (the latter) should be encouraged.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
The tackler was on his feet over the ball before the ball popped out, so offside lines had already been created.

After that anyone playing the ball or entering the tackel area had to do so from their own side. Yellow 23 didn't do that, so was offside.

You can see the referee signalling that the player didn't enter from his own side.

This seems reasonable and to the letter of the law. I will admit that if this happened in my game I would play on, partly because of the speed that everything happened!

It looked to me that the Japanese player popped the ball up from the tackle and inadvertently passes to Gold rather than a teammate.

If the Gold tackler had remained on the floor would it have been play on, because no offside line had been set and it is therefore open play?

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If the Gold tackler had remained on the floor would it have been play on, because no offside line had been set and it is therefore open play?
Based on the letter of the law in 14.10 requiring an upright player over the ball, it would be play on.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I actually suspect that ref blew cos it looked wrong, and then quickly gave a somewhat confusing but plausible reason

I hear that does sometimes happen