GLTs and Age Grade Rugby

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The RFU have confirmed that the GLT's will apply to U15 and above.

U15s will use the GLT's from January.
U16 upwards from now.

LINK HERE

Following the RFU Council agreement, we are also pleased to confirm the new Global Law Trials (GLTs) are now applicable to the Under 15 rules and above in Age Grade Rugby. Therefore all matches and training played to Under 15 rules from this point will include the GLTs. This means the Under 15 age group will play to them from 1st January 2022 and Under 16 and above, from now onwards. Detail of the GLTs is available here or but downloading the PDF below.

View attachment RFU GLT Clarifications.pdf

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Many thanks Phil, very useful.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
To clarify this statement:

This means the Under 15 age group will play to them from 1st January 2022 and Under 16 and above, from now onwards.

What they mean is that last years U14s, who are U15s for this season; but are sticking to the U14s rules until January, will not as a result use the GLTs until they start with the U15 rules in January. Even though they are under15s.

Hope that makes sense.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
To clarify this statement:

What they mean is that last years U14s, who are U15s for this season; but are sticking to the U14s rules until January, will not as a result use the GLTs until they start with the U15 rules in January. Even though they are under15s.

Hope that makes sense.

Ta, that's kinda how I figured it would be, although with one adult game under my belt where they applied (and not a single instance of any of them) I don't think it's going to be a huge deal.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Does anyone know if there has been a formal change to the adoption of GLTs? I was refereeing at a school over the weekend and was chatting to another referee pre-match... I was he was covering u12, which I had done a few weeks prior... I shared that during that game the one of the coaches was shouting for a GLD after the ball was held up over the line, which astounded me, since GLTs were three years away for that age group.

The chap I was speaking with agreed regarding the GLD, but pointed out that 50:22 was active for U12. I was sure the only guidance was the document linked in the OP above, but he insisted he had newer written guidance for this season from the RFU (he is a local Society ref). Has something new been communicated to Societies but not on the RFU website, or am I simply failing to find the new guidance online?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
To the best of my knowledge it’s still u15 and above in RFU land, I haven’t been instructed differently, or reffed differently 🤷‍♂️

Another case of coaches not actually doing the legwork and making assumptions?

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Never ceases to amaze me that youth coaches devote so much of their time during the season but can't be bothered to spend 10 mintes reading the relevant age grade appendix to the RFU Regs.

Regarding the 50:22 at U12s though, thats interesting because the GLTs have now been adopted into law and so, unless the age grade regulations specify otherwise (which they do for restarts following a ball being made dead in goal) I think I would apply the 50:22 law application for the freepass. That said a 50:22 would be pretty rare at U12 level, more common is finding a kicker who can get it 7m at the restart.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Never ceases to amaze me that youth coaches devote so much of their time during the season but can't be bothered to spend 10 mintes reading the relevant age grade appendix to the RFU Regs.

Regarding the 50:22 at U12s though, thats interesting because the GLTs have now been adopted into law and so, unless the age grade regulations specify otherwise (which they do for restarts following a ball being made dead in goal) I think I would apply the 50:22 law application for the freepass. That said a 50:22 would be pretty rare at U12 level, more common is finding a kicker who can get it 7m at the restart.
are they on a full size pitch at U12s? I thought not? If not, then 50:22 is basically impossible to apply isn't it?

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
are they on a full size pitch at U12s? I thought not? If not, then 50:22 is basically impossible to apply isn't it?
No because the 22m is actually measured at 15m at this age group. The 22m is referenced in the age grade variations for gain/non-gain of ground if the ball goes into touch and is still the referenced point for restarts for balls sent into the deadball area by attackers and grounded (ie 22m drop outs).

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Nope, U14s is the first age grade where there is a full size pitch, and at U12s it specifically states;

A free pass is awarded when the ball or ball carrier has gone into touch, 5 metres in from the touchline where the ball or ball carrier went into touch.

and

If the ball is kicked from outside of the 22 metre line directly into touch, a free pass is awarded to the opposing team who last touched the ball in line with where the ball was kicked and 5 metres in from the touchline unless they elect to take a quick throw in in compliance with 9(d).

So there is an explicit override there that covers a 50:22 scenario (similar apply for other GLT) - possibly an unintended consequence, but easily covered off.

U13 and U14 again (we have lineouts now) again have an explicit statement;

The lineout will be awarded from the touchline level with where the ball crossed the line, to the opponents of the player who touched the ball before it went into touch (other than a penalty kick directly into touch).

So using the premise of 'follow the U19 laws unless overridden' it's covered, no 50:22

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Nope, U14s is the first age grade where there is a full size pitch, and at U12s it specifically states;

A free pass is awarded when the ball or ball carrier has gone into touch, 5 metres in from the touchline where the ball or ball carrier went into touch.

and

If the ball is kicked from outside of the 22 metre line directly into touch, a free pass is awarded to the opposing team who last touched the ball in line with where the ball was kicked and 5 metres in from the touchline unless they elect to take a quick throw in in compliance with 9(d).

So there is an explicit override there that covers a 50:22 scenario (similar apply for other GLT) - possibly an unintended consequence, but easily covered off.
I may be missing it but am not seeing a specific override. The first regulation states a free pass is awarded when the ball or ball carrier goes into touch (instead of a lineout) whilst the second only states that no gain in ground may be had from a ball kicked directly into touch from outside the 22m.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I may be missing it but am not seeing a specific override. The first regulation states a free pass is awarded when the ball or ball carrier goes into touch (instead of a lineout) whilst the second only states that no gain in ground may be had from a ball kicked directly into touch from outside the 22m.

The simple fact that a 'free pass is awarded' for starters, ie not a line out / QTI which is the reward for a 50:22.

Even if you do reach and claim a free pass = line out / QTI the second was an example of the regs specifically stating who gets the free pass, there are more around kicks from inside the 22, and kicks that don't go directly - my point was there are specific age grade variations in there so they would trump the 50:22 laws (again, intended or not they are there).

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Good, we seem to be in agreement here... Global Law Trials (GLTs) are currently only applicable to the Under 15 rules and above in Age Grade Rugby, the same as last season.

The most recent update on this was included in RTP AG Changes v7 (24 Aug 2021), section 7, and includes all the GLTs detailed in the Points of Clarification document. The more recent RTP AG Changes v1 for the 2022 season (24 June 2022) does not contain any information pertaining to GLTs, therefore we continue to follow the guidance in RTP AG Changes v7 (24 Aug 2021).

Please speak up if you think otherwise.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
They are no longer Trials, of course, they are just regular Laws.

Referring to them as Trials is part of the problem as it introduces a supposition that they don't apply

Plus any documents/guidance that were produced while they were still trials, are presumably no longer relevant

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

Does this line form the OP explain stuff maybe?

"I was refereeing at a school over the weekend "

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think part of the problem is that they are complicated, 10 minutes is no where near enough

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Good, we seem to be in agreement here... Global Law Trials (GLTs) are currently only applicable to the Under 15 rules and above in Age Grade Rugby, the same as last season.

The most recent update on this was included in RTP AG Changes v7 (24 Aug 2021), section 7, and includes all the GLTs detailed in the Points of Clarification document. The more recent RTP AG Changes v1 for the 2022 season (24 June 2022) does not contain any information pertaining to GLTs, therefore we continue to follow the guidance in RTP AG Changes v7 (24 Aug 2021).

Please speak up if you think otherwise.

As Crossref says, there are no GLT's in place now as they have been adopted into law and so any reference to them should be discounted. For the period of the trial only they were applicable to U15s and above. For youth games now the laws of the game are applicable combined with the variations stipulated for the particular age group.

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The simple fact that a 'free pass is awarded' for starters, ie not a line out / QTI which is the reward for a 50:22.

Even if you do reach and claim a free pass = line out / QTI the second was an example of the regs specifically stating who gets the free pass, there are more around kicks from inside the 22, and kicks that don't go directly - my point was there are specific age grade variations in there so they would trump the 50:22 laws (again, intended or not they are there).

On the back of what you said I have looked again at the age grade variations and I think variation 9g says - Where the kick goes into touch, the non-kicking team has the option to take a quick throw in, in preference to the free pass..... On that basis it seems that the 50:22 shouldn't apply in pre-lineout age groups. As I said before though the chances of a 50:22 at U12/U13 level remains pretty low so I won't be losing any sleep over it but thanks for highlighting.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
They are no longer Trials, of course, they are just regular Laws.

Referring to them as Trials is part of the problem as it introduces a supposition that they don't apply

Plus any documents/guidance that were produced while they were still trials, are presumably no longer relevant

Excellent point!!! Combining this with post #10 by @Flish , it all comes together.

Age-grade rugby follows the adult laws unless the rules of play for that age group override the adult laws. Regulation 15 Appendix 8 - U14 rules of play specifically states:

10.a) If the ball is kicked from within the 22 by the defending team and goes directly into touch, a lineout will be awarded to the non-kicking from where the ball crossed the touchline unless it has been passed back into the “22” and there has been no subsequent tackle, ruck, maul or the ball had touched an opposition player, in which case a restart will be from where the ball was kicked. Alternatively, the opposing team may elect to take a quick throw-in in compliance with 9(d).

15.a) The lineout will be awarded from the touchline level with where the ball crossed the line, to the opponents of the player who touched the ball before it went into touch (other than a penalty kick directly into touch).

Applying the 50:22 law would directly conflict with this u14 rule, therefore a 50:22 cannot be awarded.

Regulation 15 Appendix 9 - U15-U18 variations to the laws of the game does not include this same (or similar) variation, therefore the adult laws are applied regarding possession when the ball goes into touch, which includes the 50:22 law. This aligns with the GLTs being only applicable to the Under 15 rules and above last season.

Last edited:

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
On the back of what you said I have looked again at the age grade variations and I think variation 9g says - Where the kick goes into touch, the non-kicking team has the option to take a quick throw in, in preference to the free pass..... On that basis it seems that the 50:22 shouldn't apply in pre-lineout age groups. As I said before though the chances of a 50:22 at U12/U13 level remains pretty low so I won't be losing any sleep over it but thanks for highlighting.

Yes, all the age-grade variations from u14 down give clear instructions on which team has possession after the ball goes into touch, and 50:22 does not align with those variations.

Laws and variations aside, the possibility of a 50:22 may seem unlikely on first consideration, but at u12 there is only 15m between the half way line and the 22m line, so it's not totally implausible for a player to kick that distance, especially considering the ball must land in play and then roll.