Where are you this weekend - 2022/23?

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Hardly any games in our area this weekend. Hoping to get to go and review someone but there is so few games on looks like I may have to spend time with my family ;)

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Local school game, either u14 or 15 I expect... of significance (for me at least), I have finally contacted the local society and potentially someone coming to observe on Saturday.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
This weekend is a spare, so a lot of the games called off after Christmas are being played.
I'm off to my postponed game in Derbyshire.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I am off to watch an up and coming referee called M Carley.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
This weekend re-arranged fixture from 17th Dec.

Flag waving in N2N for

Rotherham Titans v Hull Ionians

Both fighting it out with Fylde and Sedgley Park for throwing it all away and avoiding promotion to Nat 1 :)

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Local school game, either u14 or 15 I expect... of significance (for me at least), I have finally contacted the local society and potentially someone coming to observe on Saturday.
Well done, that is the biggest hurdle out of the way.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
How did it go ?

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I'm off to a returning club to our society. I know that we aren't supposed to hold pre-conceptions, but when I played them a few moons ago they were renowned for being, shall we say feisty. Big burly pack and not a lot of graceful play. Will be interesting to see if anything has changed

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Been taken off my top of the table L8 game and put on a lower league with a team that have a reputation, and nearly had their game abandoned the other week, to keep an eye on them

Just call me the Equalizer ;)

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Been taken off my top of the table L8 game and put on a lower league with a team that have a reputation, and nearly had their game abandoned the other week, to keep an eye on them

Just call me the Equalizer ;)

Ed wood wood wood.

On a related note, you're about the same height as the Wicker Man!

Wicker Man.jpg

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
for second game in a row - I am going to club that I have never been to before.

prior to that I can't rember the last time I went to a 'new' club

so that's nice.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
How did it go ?
Unfortunately the original chap got called away at the last minute and did not make it, but he is aiming to catch another of my games.

However, another Society ref that I kind-of know was watching his son play in the match so I asked him to please observe and give me some feedback... overall feedback was good, my game management and communication were good. He advised I should modify how I use the whistle to make it more clear between a penalty vs non-penalty event; and we discussed my positioning at the breakdown... I often stand to the side of the breakdown rather than behind (on the attacking side), which was his recommendation... I do occassionally stand behind the breakdown, but I've found at age-grade (especially lower ages) that support runners start behind or close (laterally) to the breakdown, and I was getting in their way, hence my alternative positioning. That said, in light of the feedback, I will make a concerted effort to more frequently position behind the breakdown for upcoming games, especially u16 since the scrum-halves at that age are more able to pass to runners further away.

I will also be attending the monthly Society meeting this month, which will be my first.

Last edited:

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Over to Dublin for the Ireland V France game with a few friends for the weekend.
No tickets just a few sherbets in the pub!☘️🍻

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
for second game in a row - I am going to club that I have never been to before.

prior to that I can't rember the last time I went to a 'new' club

so that's nice.
How strange - this weekend, for the second time in a row I'm also going to a club I've never been to before!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Unfortunately the original chap got called away at the last minute and did not make it, but he is aiming to catch another of my games.

However, another Society ref that I kind-off know was watching his son play in the match so I asked him to please observe and give me some feedback... overall feedback was good, my game management and communication were good. He advised I should modify how I use the whistle to make it more clear between a penalty vs non-penalty event; and we discussed my positioning at the breakdown... I often stand to the side of the breakdown rather than behind (on the attacking side), which was his recommendation... I do occassionally stand behind the breakdown, but I've found at age-grade (especially lower ages) that support runners start behind or close (laterally) to the breakdown, and I was getting in their way, hence my alternative positioning. That said, in light of the feedback, I will make a concerted effort to more frequently position behind the breakdown for upcoming games, especially u16 since the scrum-halves at that age are more able to pass to runners further away.

I will also be attending the monthly Society meeting this month, which will be my first.
all that sounds very normal for a newbie ref -- so congrats and welcome to the dark side !

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
AR2 N2N

Harrogate v Sheffield Tigers

Another visit to Harrogate - they'll be sick of the sight of me. Also got them in March albeit away.

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Last weekend was my first full 1st XV fixture. I had done others in the same league but since the league re-shuffle they were 2nd VX etc. That was my first 1st XV v 1st XV.

Intensity was higher which was good and interesting trying to manage. Have another 2 full 1st XVs this weekend in the same league. Looking forward to it.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Just returned from the schools tournament in Jakarta. Great fun & I've lived to tell the tale.

We start local pre-season practice games in March.