Super Rugby 2023 defending scrum half law trial

Locke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
One of the law variations for the 2023 season of super rugby is not allowing the defending scrum half at a scrum to follow the ball and attacking scrum half at they make their way to the back of the scrum. He must stay in the middle of the scrum or his other options still exist, retreating to the back foot of the scrum or to the defensive line 5m back.

Modification Law 19:
30. Once play in the scrum begins, the scrum-half of the team not in possession:
a) Remains on that team’s side of the middle line within 1m of the scrum, or
b) Permanently retires to a point on the offside line either at that team’s hindmost foot, or c) Permanently retires at least five metres behind the hindmost foot.

Link to the announcement: https://super.rugby/superrugby/news/super-rugby-pacific-announces-law-innovations-for-2023-season/

Link to the full list of law variations: https://super.rugby/superrugby/documents/media-files/super-rugby-pacific-2023-law-modifications/

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
How about giving us some bloody basic clarity on whether or not the scrum half can be legally played as they lift the ball at a ruck!

RemainingInTheGame

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Watched Tahs v Reds and Blues v Chiefs preseason games - speed of scrums and line outs was noticeably faster.

Might have just been because they were pre season games, and everyone just wants game time, but bodes we’ll if it continues for season.

Last edited:

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
How about giving us some bloody basic clarity on whether or not the scrum half can be legally played as they lift the ball at a ruck!
Look on the bright side - one less thing for the more gobby 9s to bang on about.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
So at the top level they can now feed straight to the 8s feet and the SH now cant contest the ball at the back.
Next thing I predict is no pushing :mad:

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
So at the top level they can now feed straight to the 8s feet and the SH now cant contest the ball at the back.
Next thing I predict is no pushing :mad:
Already trialling the max 1.5m push in the community game in NZ. It’s a very slippery slope

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I've recently been told that Rugby Aus has asked us to trial (ELV) this in our area but only at our top grade games (a feeder comp into super rugby level I guess you could call it). So I guess I'll be seeing first hand how this goes at community level.

Should be interesting...when the ref in the game before allows SH pressure...and then I don't. That ought to excite the law uneducated spectators. 🙄😬🤪

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Should be interesting...when the ref in the game before allows SH pressure...and then I don't. That ought to excite the law uneducated spectators. 🙄😬🤪
So you're reffing 1 level down from super rugby? Respect ... I didn't know we were in such esteemed company! (y)

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So you're reffing 1 level down from super rugby? Respect ... I didn't know we were in such esteemed company! (y)
You're not. Well not with me!
So I wouldnt go quite that far @Dickie E as to say it's 1 level below super..the level is debatable considering in Oz we don't have a tier comp below superrugby anymore (did we ever??). It's certaily not english premier, curry or mitre cup!. Its John I Dent cup but quite a few local players advance from it to super rugby... the likes of Brumbies; Luke Reimer, Joe Powell, Lolesio, Mcinnerny, Corey Toole ...and even Mack Hansen. It's probably slightly above your Melbourne prem 1st Grade and just shy of shute shield really. I didn't want to say our "premier" level (which is what we call it) so it wouldn't be confused with the UK premiership rugby.