Crooked feeds

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I have just been to a very entertaining evening at Kingsholm where 6 Gloucester legends were being interviewed and answered questions from the audience.

Given there were 3 props, I asked if they were bothered about crooked feeds, or if there were more important aspects of scrummaging. Andy Deacon and Phil Vickery both said that as long as it wasn't too ridiculous, they did not mind. Allan Townsend (played in the 1960s) thought it was always put in pretty straight in his day.

It looks as though top referees and players are on the same page.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
It looks as though top referees and players are on the same page.

I listened to a GP referee (last week) give us a little talk at our monthly meeting and he essentially said he had too much to do to look at straight/not straight as well as all the other stuff.

I thought this surprising but in view of the above it seems a pragmatic approach.

Brian Moore will have to keep bellyaching.

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
I listened to a GP referee (last week) give us a little talk at our monthly meeting and he essentially said he had too much to do to look at straight/not straight as well as all the other stuff.

I thought this surprising but in view of the above it seems a pragmatic approach.

Brian Moore will have to keep bellyaching.
On Saturday, I explained during my briefing that I had a lot to look at during the scrum, and that feeding would be my lowest priority however if it became obvious or a problem, I'd ping it.

First time I pinged it, the red skipper said "But you didn't warn us it was coming!"
"I did warn the 9 during the briefing!" I replied. Next scrum, I pinged the other side for the same reason. Guess what?:wow: They stopped doing it!;)

lawsons

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Stuart, can I ask what you gain from telling the SH that feeding is your lowest priority ? Why not just say "scrum half ball in straight please" and leave it at that ?

breako

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Stuart, can I ask what you gain from telling the SH that feeding is your lowest priority ? Why not just say "scrum half ball in straight please" and leave it at that ?

I say: "throw it in correctly" which covers everything straight, ball landing, ball grip - everything.