Recent content by anbocmorrua

1. A

Managing racist comments in game.

Any tips on managing this? A competitive and feisty U16s game is nearly over and it is reported by red coach and a supporter that racist comments were heard coming from a blue player directed at a red player. Referee didn't hear the comment and the alleged offender could not be identified. As...
  2. A

Developing YMOs

Thanks for al your generous replies. I particularly liked Marc's idea to reward them. My friend's son refs football and he gets paid (effective hourly rate is actually pretty impressive).
  3. A

Developing YMOs

Thanks, we are RFU land. That makes sense. We don't really have a structure right now. I'm trying to put one in place. I plan to do all the obvious things like reach out to the Society but of course most interested to hear of real life experiences, good and bad
  4. A

Developing YMOs

Folks I'm looking for some ideas on how to develop our YMOs. A few young people in the club have bravely decided to take up the whistle. What do you do to encourage and support them along their journey?
  5. A

Scrum feed

Was this a repeat offence? At u12s I think I would have explained to the scrum half what they were doing wrong the first time. Sometimes at that age they have no idea, especially if the coach is as described.
  6. A

Didn't witness foul play.

Looking for some advice please. I'm wondering what my options are when there's an incident I didn't see. In a recent juniors game a red player slapped blue in an off the ball incident I didn't see, as I was following play and the incident happened behind me. Touch judge confirmed the incident...
  7. A

Quick tap and pass to runner

There's currently an interesting discussion on the RFU Kid's First Facebook page about how to referee the scenario where the attacking team take a tap penalty and the scrum half passes the ball to a player already running at pace. OP was miffed that the referee in his U15 game penalised this...
  8. A

PK directly into touch-in-goal after time is up.

Recently, in an junior game, I awarded Green a penalty a minute before the end of the game. Green chose to kick for the corner but the ball went directly into touch-in-goal. We restarted with a 22 drop out for Blue. I am now wondering what I should have done if the penalty had been awarded...
  9. A

Fending off above armpits

I'm the OP. The reason for my question was that in an u14s match I took charge of the blue player fended the red player leading to a try for blue. Fend was perfectly ok in my opinion. Red players and coaches were v surprised that I didn't penalise the blue player for the fend, and red coaches...
  10. A

Fending off above armpits

Hi there. Apart from u13s I don't see anything in RFU reg15 that says u14s and above can't fend above the armpits. Is there some other convention or guidance available that prohibits this?
  11. A

Quick tap Pen/FK

I'd appreciate your thoughts on how best to manage this situation I encountered in a recent u14 juniors match. Red tactic was to take a quick tap penalty wherever possible, then run straight at Blue, hoping that Blue hadn't retreated the full 10m before attempting to tackle the Red ball carrier...
  12. A

FK for exceeding 1.5m push at scrum

Thanks @Volun-selected and other respondents. That's what I had in mind - and it makes sense - but I as another newbie referee I was wondering if some more experienced referees had an idea of what the rationale and guidance was when the law came into being. All good for now. I will endeavour to...
  13. A

FK for exceeding 1.5m push at scrum

Hi there, I've recently started refereeing after a less than illustrious career as a minis and juniors coach. I've always enjoyed reading this forum and have found it tremendously useful in the past. My question is why at Junior level the dominant scrum is penalised if they push beyond 1.5m? I...