Recent content by Andyp

1. A

Slide to disrupt a conversion.

Snr Colts game last night. The kicker has a moved and a pocket rocket of a winger sprints out to disrupt the kick and slides in feet first to try and knock the ball off the tee. Kicker had kicked the ball moments before and gets taken out. Fortunately the kicker was uninjured. Never seen this...
  2. A

Forward pass.

Recent game, on to occasions the ball was passed flat and then carried forward by a strong tail wind. The referee pinged it and confirmed afterwards that the pass was flat but the wind carried it forward. Is this correct? Thought it was to do with the direct the player released the ball.
  3. A

Uncontested - Age.

If you need to go uncontested in senior rugby, are you able to play a 17 yr old in the front row or are you still required to meet the minimum age limit?
  4. A

Impartial?

School 1st XV game on Wednesday. Team travelled up to Bradford. Good hard game from the players and the lads lost 8-6. Society ref, knew the opposition and used their first names through out the game, offered them positional advise and when he got hit by a box kick, referred to our boys as...
  5. A

Saracens director of rugby Brendan Venter fined 25,000 euros for misconduct

Can't get the detail on BBC yet, anyone know what happened?
  6. A

Off the ball tackles.

My 10 came up to me after training last night and asked what he should do during our next match about a player who continually takes him off the ball. He's come up against him at school, club and county (only decided to tell me last night). Normal situation is once the ball has gone down the...
  7. A

Positive Action.

Refereed our home game on Sunday as the Society refs I would normally ask weren't available. Good hard game on the field slowly made more difficult by a couple of difficult parents on the touch line. One in particular contradicting just about every decision I made. Long story short. Got to the...
  8. A

Lineout end to the game.

A couple of seasons ago I was watching a colts cup game when the red team had a lineout as the last play of the game. they were winning by a try. Good throw and the front jumper took the ball cleanly and threw the ball off the pitch. The result was a penalty for deliberately throwing the ball...
  9. A

Quick throw.

Red kicked for touch and the ball hit the stands but wasn't touched by anyone, bounced down to blue who threw a quick throw. Big shout from the stands complaining as it his the stand. Blue were the correct side if the flag. Other than other people touching the ball, is there anything else to...
  10. A

New continuum - Is this real?

Taken this from one of the forums on Rolling Maul. Anyone heard anymore? told it will be trialed in Worcestershire. The new continuum in brief u7 non contact ,can knock on, can forward pass, played with 4 players, pitch size 4m x 4m u8 same as u9 non contact with un contested 3 man scrum u10...
  11. A

Police involved in game incident!

http://www.sareferees.co.za/news/ref_news/2427390.htm Only in SA?
  12. A

Water bottles on the pitch.

Was at the Cheshire vs North Wales U17's game last night to watch my son play. The North Wales coach used every opportunity to get water out to his players until the referee came over and told him that stops for penalties weren't water breaks and to stop. I've not experienced this before. What...
  13. A

What a difference a Ref makes!!

We played a County Semi Final on Sunday against a local side where there is some rivalry. Most of the boys play each other at school as well. There have been occassions when some players haven't necessarily played in the spirit of the game. I'd requested an experienced Society referee...
  14. A

Defending a Scrum.

A few threads have covered bits of this and I'm sorry if this has been covered off elsewhere. Blue has an attacking scrum, likely to be an 8 pick up. Am I right to think that red can put their scrum half in at 8 and the 8 act as scrum half. If I'm correct to now, at U14's with no movement past...
  15. A

U14 Punch.

Referred in a junior tournament on Sunday. Society refs weren’t available because of a fixtures clash. I was talking to the pitch manager for an U14’s game between my games. I coach U14’s but had asked to referee U13’s to remove as much conflict of interest as possible. 2-3 boys from both sides...