Recent content by BigDai

1. B

Judging Converstions

A great game yesterday, two Uni 2/3rd teams great commitment and moderate skill. Red score first but yellow reply with three crackers. Towards the end of 1H, red score wide out. I'm standing close by for the conversion about half way between touch and mid-field. As he is running up I see that...
  2. B

Gloves

Nigel Owens was wearing gloves for the Scarlets v Leinster game. Shame or Sensible? I bought mine this morning. What about hats/snoods?
  3. B

U19 Front Row

After the first scrum on Saturday the Capt told me that his hooker was 18 and this was his first senior game in the front row and could I protect him. I told him safety was my prime concern and I had done the usual STE talk before the match. I was concerned that their may be a ruling that in an...
  4. B

Weekend Rugby

Disappointing to see the big match of the weekend, Fra v SA isn't being shown by Sky. Same with Itl v NZ. Both are ESPN, does that cost extra?
  5. B

New Website

At last night's meeting we were told about this website. Not so applicable to Level 11s but it might be of use. http://www.theteamof3.com/index.asp Wayne Barnes writes a blog on it. We'll see how he does against me and KML
  6. B

International Referees

Excellent London West list meeting last night with Wayne Barnes, Stu Dickinson and Bryce Lawernce. Some could discussion on current trends eg injuries. Most startling was an admission by Bryce that ANZ Cup referees agreed between themselves at the start of the competition not to penalise crooked...
  7. B

Nice Trip

I had a factious and ill-disciplined match on Saturday; 1st YC was after 15 mins. During the second half black winger chips through and the blue player who jumped to charge it down landed with a wide stance and succeeded in triping the black winger. YC for blue and penalty where the ball landed...
  8. B

"Double Movement"

There is a lot of misunderstanding on this one and I wanted to be clear that I was dealing with it properly. I got a good view of this one on Saturday as only two players were involved and I was close at hand. Blue winger is caught and brought down just short of the line by Green who...
  9. B

Maul formation from KO

Blue KO and Red 4 catches cleanly midway between 10m and 22m. Seeing the massed hordes or Blue approaching Red 2 binds onto Red 4, from behind and and does not grasp the ball, moments later Blue players arrive and a maul forms. More Red players join on and the ball emerges cleanly for Red to...
  10. B

Quinlan Eye Gouge

This looks pretty clear cut to me. http://ow.ly/4XKn The question is how long for the ban, just enough to make him playable in the Lions tour or not?
  11. B

First International

Well not quite, but it is a touring Spanish side. As my Spanish stretches to little more than "dos cervezas, por favor" I thought a couple of extra 'communication and control' phrases might be useful. I stumpled across a referee website with them on a couple of years ago but I can't find the...
  12. B

ELV Changes Announced

Its looking like sense is going to prevail with regard to which ELVs are taken forwards as full changes in Law. Quick throw-ins and no gain in ground from 22 kicks are to stay, but maul pull downs and line-out numbers are out. MOST IMPORTANTLY- the sanction laws (lets make Union as dull as...
  13. B

DG or not DG

Interesting one on Saturday, hopefully those with more experience can share some wisdom. Black are 5-10m out and 15m in from touch, after winning the ball back, FH kicks cross field for the winger to chase. It sails into in-goal and is caught by blue with a foot out of the field of play. I was...
  14. B

Maul ELV

As we head toward the start of season, the most controversial ELV in the NH, seems to be the collapsing of mauls. At grass roots level, if both captains agreed to it, what would consequences of not applying this law? I could see the problem of choosing to ignore a law that was there for players...
  15. B

White Cards

I spotted this and it seems a monsterous idea but good fodder for a lively discussion White Cards