Recent content by Casey Bee

1. C

Ouch, sore point?

Should RFU coach educators have a very clear understanding of the lawbook before engaging on being educators to the next generations of coaches? I am genuinely shocked[dramatic] by recent events I have witnessed. As a dedicated referee, club only, but looking at daily conversations through web...
  2. C

Requirements to for a maul to be formed

This may well have been asked before, sorry about that! In this extract from the IRB laws, I interpret the first sentence (and second) as meaning the bare minimum requirement for a maul is the ball carrier, one opposition player and one more player from the ball carrier's team. And therefore...
  3. C

Which player on a rugby union team makes the line out calls?

The title says it all! Not a refereeing question but I believe lots of experienced people on here able to answer. Who do you believe should make the line out calls and why? {No tricks! I'm just talking about the team in possession} Would it be hooker? One of the jumpers? Rearmost line out...
  4. C

Rugby's angelic reputation with regard to officialdom

I would like to start a slow burning thread regarding this - rugby is a sport that has abided by sacrement towards the referee's decision ( opinion/knowledge) etc How many people are observing flagrant disregard to the 'superior being' [referee] justified or otherwise? I know it's a trite...
  5. C

Another line out into maul question...

Is there anything under laws that referees would 'ping' the following situation? Normal line out, throw in team win. The first ball holder (the jumper) holds ball out backwards and is protected by his 2 lifters. Opposition form the maul. [All normal so far!] The first man on the attacking...
  6. C

No line out formed - running round the back

I know this is an old scenario, however in discussing with various colleagues can't remember how it was resolved. It was the Italian national side who started it. (I believe) At a line out - no defenders engaged (the Italians) Once the ball was taken by ball throwing in side, defenders stood...
  7. C

'Phantom touches'

Is anyone a proficient Touch Rugby referee (or player) and kept up any law changes over the years? Apparently phantom touches are not allowed now... I thought they used to be allowed but I could well be wrong! Does anyone know if there was a law change at some point? Phantom touch being a...
  8. C

Made dead from in goal

At a penalty kick red are kicking for touch but mis kick. What are the decisions if the following occur: (and could you direct me to right law section please) 1. Kick goes directly through touch in goal or straight through back of pitch 2. A blue defender catches the ball clean inside in goal...
  9. C

YC Sin bin protocol

Mixed age group school game age 15-17. You yellow card a player. Is there any fixed procedure you as a referee must follow regarding advising time left of the 10 minutes? What is good practice? The yellow card you issued was due to foul play and the game has got 'heated'. You are...
  10. C

Match analysis form

Do any assessors out there (or others) have a 'standardised' form that they use for match analysis? I'm meaning recording events as they happen. Mistakes, penalty counts, type of penalty, scrums, line outs, times of events etc Thanks
  11. C

Question 39

While RR was out of action I tried the quiz. By question 3 the whole thing was struggling to operate, at question 4 it crashed and burned. One of the questions was Q 39. It is a fill the blank style question so you have to answer with the correct answer to complete the statement. Answer 4 was...
  12. C

Site not running properly??

For a while now, whenever I open and run RR.com there is a 'timer circle' running on the narrative tag. This suggests that it isn't fully open and system is searching for something. Also, half the time, the main narrative for threads doesn't come up, and the 'completion bar' at bottom of screen...
  13. C

Why

Simple question. Why are you a rugby referee?
  14. C

15.6 d

(d) At a tackle or near to a tackle, other players who play the ball must do so from behind the ball and from directly behind the tackled player or the tackler closest to those players’ goal line. Sanction: Penalty kick Can anyone tell me if this is 'new'? And if 'new' when was it introduced...
  15. C

RugbyFirst

Does anyone here know anything about RugbyFirst website? Do you use it? If there is anyone out there who can explain what it is used for I should be most grateful. Thanks