Recent content by chbg

1. chbg

Offsides at a scrum for the scrum-half whose team is in possession of the ball?

Correct. See diagram under Law 19.33 (yellow SH).
  2. chbg

Tackle height stuff

We've just had an excellent example of the effect of late & low at a Disciplinary Panel. It is not a great screenshot from a match video; in fact it is probably very poor! RFU Level 5 match, G16 (in #10 channel) received ball passed from base of breakdown and took 6 or so strides towards B2...
  3. chbg

Referee advice ....

If the players have no other way of understanding what time is left on the referee's watch, then one should certainly tell them where it is reasonable to do so. It's not so much a 60 sec shot clock, as 'take longer than 60 secs and the game will be over; take less than 60 secs and the match is...
  4. chbg

Enforcing 7s scrum binding

Red Cards count for the whole tournament, unless there is a Disciplinary Panel to consider over-turning. The bigger tournaments may well tot up YCs to the same player/team. But referees should approach each game afresh, as there will be a degree of randomness as to appointments and teams...
  5. chbg

Juggling ball now NOT in possession

It seems fairly clear that many of us accept that a player needs to have played the ball before they can be judged to be attempting to control it. I gave up trying to use my psychic powers even from 1m away a long time ago.
  6. chbg

Where are you this weekend - 2023/24?

Do keep us updated!
  7. chbg

Professional Truck and Trailer

I see 'changing channels' in much the same way as refereeing the 'gate' at a tackle/breakdown: drive towards any part of the opposition's GL all well and good, it's the opposition's fault if they are not defending across that axis; step sideways to avoid the opposition (and your own players in...
  8. chbg

Tackle question.

14.6 & 14.8c: "from the direction of their own goal line".
  9. chbg

Tackler Offsides?

In open play, only team-mates of the ball carrier/last person to play the ball can be offside. If "the ball is being kicked around a bit on the ground" then the team potentially off-side is changing frequently, perhaps as often as each kick. But at each kick, they are put back onside...
  10. chbg

Shot Clock Why?

If there is less than 90 secs (well around 60 I suppose more realistically) on the clock, I do tell the kicker how much game time is left, and whether he wishes to take the kick quickly (if time is short) or does he wish to let the time complete before kicking. If the latter, then I tell him to...
  11. chbg

Clearer than other Unions for L+L?

Just a different, and clearer, way of achieving the same end. Late & low closes off that 'safe zone'.
  12. chbg

What type of restart occurs when the attacking team kicks the ball out the back of the defending teams in-goal?

Therefore that doesn't matter. Just as it doesn't matter who last handled the ball before any other KO.
  13. chbg

Just a rugby Incident Sale v Stade Francais!

It is more pertinent whether either player was reckless. An "accident" in common parlance may be caused by reckless action - driving too fast, but risked leaving the road. Law 9 covers reckless as well as intentional actions. A pure 'rugby incident' should be something that could not be...
  14. chbg

Ref and TJ not on same page

You are discussing different scenarios - LLP with trained TJs/ARS; you with club voluntolds. In your case you just have to go with what you have, and don't rely on them to provide the perfect result. Ideally they give you the right result, and you can humour them by waiting until they have...