Recent content by CrouchTPEngage

1. C

France v Italy - potential spoiler

Personally I didint think their stepping towards the ball was material. The ref gestured them to retire and they complied. I think the material aspect was that the ball fell off the tee, and for this, Garbisi must shoulder some of the blame. In a roof-closed, windless stadium, if you cannot...
  2. C

What’s allowed when no one is left in the ruck?

Very similar to a question asked of me after my game last Saturday. Ruck had formed. 2 competing players fell to ground and thus exposing the ball. I allowed a defender to step around the ruck pick up the ball and play on. Coach said that he should come through the middle of the ruck only. My...
  3. C

Mark. Clean catch

Given the laws as written, I'll now allow a juggle +catch and feel confident to support my decision in the bar after the game.
  4. C

Mark. Clean catch

I remembered seeing a mark being disallowed in Premiership last few months and referee explaining to player (who had thought his catching it was enough ) that it has to be a 'clean catch '. But just checking if, and where in laws I can point to , to backup this interpretation. Seems vague to me now.
  5. C

Mark. Clean catch

Just reading law 17 and I can't find the words 'clean catch' anywhere in the text have we changed the laws or was there no longer a requirement for the catch to be clean. For example a player who attempts to catch it but ends up knocking it forward then catching it on the second attempt is not a...
  6. C

Clarification 2022/1

Thanks Crossref. Makes sense now. So I can still carry on awarding a GLDO is its charged-down into in-goal then held-up. That was what the scenario in my head. Phew !
  7. C

Clarification 2022/1

As per Stu10's post I was more confused after reading the clarification. Before that, I was awarding a GLDO if the attackers charge-downed a kick and it went into in-goal. My rationale being that law 12.11 Play is restarted with a goal line drop-out when: The ball is played or taken into...
  8. C

New 6 Nations Law Trial. Hooker brake-foot and axial loading

So I've read about this new law change. It looks like it is only for the 6 Nations tournament and , to be honest, I've never not seen a "brake foot" at the "bind" phase of scrum setup. Has anyone seen the banned practice as I'd be keen to get some videos of it so I can spot it more easily. Ta...
  9. C

Advice on "water-carriers" not leaving the field of play quickly enough

Good advice. So ultimately, if water-carrier enters the field of play WITHOUT my permission, should I award a PK ? Of so where ? What is the escalation profile on sanctions ? I once ( thankfully only once) had a difficult issue with an angry coach and was told that ultimately, one can declare...
  10. C

Advice on "water-carriers" not leaving the field of play quickly enough

For some reason, I have started seeing this recently. Team who benefit from slowing the game down tend to deploy water-carriers at every sniff of a injury or a stoppage. With my permission to enter the field , then fair enough but when I ask them to leave ( to play on), they dont seem in any...
  11. C

New Forum Feedback

Pretty sure I used to clikc something like "today's posts" or "latest posts" in the forum menu somewhere. Cant find its new equivalent. Tryin on my mobile ( Firefox on Adnroid ) and I;m getting Internal Server Error" when clickong on the Forum link on page rugbyrefs.com/mobile.php.?do=gridmenu...
  12. C

Seat-belt tackle now legal?

Just watching Leicester Quins where the commentary team made a big thing about the seat belt tackle no longer being a penalty offence. Can someone please point me.at the clarification in law or guidelines as I must have missed.a refs meeting where this was discussed. From the commentary, 'the...
  13. C

[Law] Law Change Proposal - Scrum or FK option after Knock-on

I was watching the England v SA game on Saturday with some friends. Often in such situations , they ask me (knowing I ref ) for explanations as to why a decision was given etc. One question asked of me was "Why , after a South Africa knocked on do they get a chance to scrum with the...
  14. C

[Law] Ball kicked hits overhanging tree branch and falls back onto pitch

Crikey ! Thought I'd seen everything in my many years reffing but first time for everything. I did a game from the weekend, quite a low level. But a private sports ground (not a public park) hence would have expected better grounds-keeping. We were on a different pitch to usual for some reason -...