Recent content by Dickie E

1. Dickie E

Driven to ground in ruck

I'd have no problem with your scenario as long as the player on ground makes a prompt & genuine effort to exit the ruck east/west
  2. Dickie E

Jumper Dummy Throw

The backline is one thing, you've also got the defending lineout participants to consider. If the tail gunner ends up next to the SH when the ball eventually comes off the top, this won't be a "manage" situation. Unless the pause at the top is egregious (ie > 2 or 3 seconds), I'd view this as a...
  3. Dickie E

Statistics help required

the issue there is that you might have a club that doesn't host many games but does a bang up job of looking after the refs. You're trying to apply an objective outcome to what is very much a subjective matter so there will always be difficulties. Like trying to objectively & arithmetically...
  4. Dickie E

Where are you this weekend - 2023/24?

Maybe even zombie ball? 😀
  5. Dickie E

Where are you this weekend - 2023/24?

Looks like the new ground will be built near the cemetery... hope its not an omen 😬
  6. Dickie E

Tackle height stuff

The wording suggests to me that using your head as a weapon is only illegal if it is dangerous to others, not yourself 🤔
  7. Dickie E

Orange Card?

Maybe there's no blazer, but there must be someone that the ref would talk to if, for instance, there was no post pads.
  8. Dickie E

Tackle height stuff

No, no PK. It's play on. The logic is that the high tackle is mitigated down due to the action of the ball carrier and the ball carrier is also not guilty of an offence.
  9. Dickie E

4th and 5th officials in the pro game

yes, that was me. I sat in a room overlooking the pitch with the folk who did the ground graphics & advertising and the ground announcer. I could hear the ref but couldn't speak to him/her nor any of the other officials. I ran the game time clock which was displayed in the ground and the TV...
  10. Dickie E

TZ ... Twilight Zone? Anyway, was the TZ remote from pitch side? If so, how did you communicate with the #4 official? (eg let him/her know that 9 mins had elapsed & the player could warm up)
  11. Dickie E

Well, if he/she cocked it up, then a bit of drying might be appropriate. Accountability & all that
  12. Dickie E

World Rugby phased plan to grow the sport

I think so. Just to clarify because I don't think I was clear. There are now 2 types of RCs in super rugby: 1. If the ref shows a YC for foul play, the TMO automatically has 8 minutes to review and potentially upgrade to a 20 min RC. 2. If the ref shows a RC it will be for egregious foul play...
  13. Dickie E

we've had 20 min RCs in super rugby for a couple of seasons now, and I haven't perceived an increase in outright thuggery
  14. Dickie E

What is the downside to the 20 minute red card? Do some think that it will encourage foul play?
  15. Dickie E

Penalty Try *and* penalty restart

Don't 100% agree because there is some nuance. If the grounding is completed and, while the referee is bring whistle to lips, there is foul play, then the try should be awarded and PK restart. The decision point is the grounding, not the blowing of whistle