Recent content by Dinks

1. D

Premier rugby re-invents the wheel

Below was an announcement from Premier rugby today. Seems as though they've decided to referee the laws as written (and refereed in community rugby every week). Staggering! "Rugby chiefs in England have agreed to change the refereeing of tackle situations in the hope of improving the...
  2. D

Unsporting behaviour

Red vs Blue Red attacking, spin the ball wide. Red 13 makes a break and is running towards Blue No.15. As he's approaching the FB he hears a call of "On your right" and sensing the opportunity to make a try creating pass, passes directly to the player who called (a blue player!). I whistle...
  3. D

Don't forget to enjoy your games!

I watched a game this weekend and the national panel referee showed no sign of enjoyment at all. All sense of 'feel for the game' was absent, he was short tempered, unsmiling, officious and quick on the whistle and with the cards. It's the 3rd game I've watched with this ref and each one's the...
  4. D

Reffing in USA

I've refereed my 1st season and now looks as though I'll be in USA for a bit at the start of next season. I'm not looking to referee a lot of matches as I can't give over the whole weekend to travel, so it will be mostly training matches etc. Does anyone know if I can ref in USA straightaway or...
  5. D

Wheeled scrum or play on?

Situation from my game at the weekend Defending scrum (Red) gets pushed back and their pack splits off so that their FR is at a 90 degrees angle to attacking FR and they are pushed round to the blindside. The attacking scrum keeps driving straight. White No.8 picks up and drives up the...
  6. D

Did Gomersall lose England 60m?

1st half vs Australia. Aus drop out goes directly into Eng in-goal (i.e. not touched by any players in flight). Gomersall picks up the ball dithers around for a bit and then touches it down...22m drop out to Eng. However, if he'd touched it down IMMEDIATELY wouldn't it have been an England scrum...
  7. D

When is the ball out?

Refereed a match yesterday, and had the following situation. Ball is at base of a ruck, it can't be "cr@pped on by a pigeon" (as taught on ELRA course) but Red SH has hands on the ball and is about to pass it to red FH. Blue SH comes and wipes out red SH. I blew PK to red for ball not out...
  8. D

Advice for a newbie

After what seems like a long wait since my ELRA course in May, I finally take up the whistle on Sept 8th and referee my first match (2nd/3rd team of a level 9 club). I just wondered if there were any 'pearls of wisdom' that you could pass on to help make what will be a nerve jangling day go a...