Recent content by dskit

1. D

Would you award a penalty try on the half way line?

Horse Collar Tackle in an NFL term for grabbing the inside of the back of the collar and pulling the player down. Typically the player will land flat on their back and their head can slam down. I assume that by definition it's a high tackle but is it a yellow card because it is dangerous and...
  2. D

Would you award a penalty try on the half way line?

I had a near identical situation with my son last year - clean break away and (as they say in the NFL) horse collar tackled about 20M out and hit the ground hard. (to his credit he executed a perfect ground off-load pass after he went down). I agree that it should be a penalty try...my...
  3. D

Tackler Offsides?

I ref youth mostly so this applies to when the game gets a bit messy: In open play, that is, well after a ruck has broken, say its a bad pass and the ball gets kicked around a bit on the ground all within a close area. Ball is picked up and a defending tackler that was in front of the ball...
  4. D

Ball in Hand or on Ground?

20.11 The ball must be kicked a visible distance. If the kicker is holding it, it must clearly leave the hands. If it is on the ground, it must clearly leave the mark. Once the kick has been successfully taken the kicker may play the ball again. To re-state: What determines the "IF"? Why would...
  5. D

Ball in Hand or on Ground?

Hello All - newly minted ref and first post. This seems like an obvious question but I've searched all over for an answer. We have a penalty and the ref makes a signal at the spot of the foul. Sometimes a player will pick up the ball and play it from the mark in hand. Sometimes the ball in...