Recent content by GeorgeR

1. G

16 (3) e head and shoulders should not be lower than hips.

In the law book this is covered under rucking. Head and shoulders should not be lower than hips. Free kick sanction. A jackler is very commonly in this position. This is purely a question as to how others deal with this in rucks when it occurs.
  2. G

Law trials and U19's

Under the change for Crouch, touch and set. How does this relate to U19's in England as I have a Colts pre-season this weekend. Sorry if its covered somewhere else, but I havent been on for a bit.
  3. G

Referees Boot Design?

I had a pair of these for Christmas (but given to me early as my old pair fell apart). They are very light, supportive and comfortable. I have had achilles and arch problems and having worn them a few times would reccomend them. For ST's benefit, I have dyed the main white panels dark...
  4. G

Dummy Runner Law 10 1 (b)

I am seeing a lot of this at the moment sometimes with arms in air or making noise but usually as part of a set piece where the player runs deliberately towards the opposition with a miss pass behind them designed to confuse the opposition. The question is obviously materiality and impact on...
  5. G

"Forcing the Player throwing in to throw the ball by lifting early"

I had an interesting discussion this weekend with a coach who seemed to suggest that the reason his jumpers were jumping before the player throwing the ball in had thrown the ball was to force the thrower to throw the ball into the lineout. I had warned his team twice (once in the first half...
  6. G

Liability for pitch inspections

This case: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/8808000/Judge-who-awarded-injured-schoolboy-rugby-player-50000-not-in-realistic-world.html has just been decided in favour of the payer who injured himself on a snapped off cricket marker pretty well hidden in grass. I know we all have...
  7. G

Lynx - Rules to Rugby

I remember some discussion about lynx v specsavers ad campaigns in the past, however, this video is an interesting take on the laws of the game "Lynx" style. I did try and see if it had been posted before, but couldn't see it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rz31VhUEoA
  8. G

Deliverately preventing a maul forming

At Gloucester v Sale at the weekend, on several occasions (all at lineouts) a Sale player appeared to deliberately go to to ground causing the forming maul to go to ground as they fell over him before it managed to get anywhere. Has anyone else noticed this and why should it not be penalised?
  9. G

Hilversum (in Holland) tournament Easter Sunday U19

Is anyone here going to this either as a referee or touring with an U19 side? I'll be there with an U16 team (our U14's and U15's are also going!!) and will probably be refereeing as well. (yes before anyone asks, I have sent a form to the RFU for consent).
  10. G

Collapsing the ruck.

I had a side on Saturday who had been clearly coached to step back in the ruck and allow the opposing side to effectively go off their feet. I believe they were trying to get me to penalise their opponents. Reading the laws, deliberately collapsing a ruck is dangerous play. In this instance...
  11. G

Super bowl ads

Some of these are very well put together, but I personally think the best are based on a simple idea. http://www.youtube.com/user/volkswagen#p/a/u/0/R55e-uHQna0 (a load of them are to be found http://www.youtube.com/user/superbowladsman )
  12. G

Positioning at tackle/breakdown/maul

In an assessment last Saturday, I was criticised for some poor positioning at breakdowns and mauls resulting in missing some offenses. I'm fit enough to get around the park and I am at the tackles and breakdowns in time for catching the first offense but need to resolve this issue. My mentor has...
  13. G

refereeing floodlit matches

I had my 1st floodlit match this season last night as part of an annual U16's school tournament running over a number of months. The floodlights, whilst they are not bad, do create a number of challenges with much lower light levels than daylight. It was informally assessed and I'm looking...
  14. G

6.A.9 Referee caught in the middle after time is up.

Last night at the Gloucester v Sarries match, the countdown clock had expired and Sean Davey was caught out and he ended up obstructing play under Law 6.A.9 (a) 6.A.9 THE BALL TOUCHING THE REFEREE (a) If the ball or the ball carrier touches the referee and neither team gains an advantage, play...
  15. G

cavalry charge or not?

I had a discussion with another referee over a decision I gave recently when I awarded a penalty for a cavalry charge between the 10m and 22m line against the attacking team who had just taken a penalty. They clearly had a runner start a run up as the no 10 tapped the ball and by the time it was...