Recent content by Jarrod Burton

1. J

What is the sanction for Law 6.30?

What about (as has happened to me) the President of the Club, in his jacket after introducing himself to me as the club president and saying "if you need anything sir, just ask" then screaming abuse at me and riling up their supporters? I PK'ed the team and told the captain why - his response...
  2. J

Fdk, deliberate pass into an opponent (?)

My main concern with calling this a PK is whether the player intentionally interfered with play. I would have thought that the relevant section here is 10.9 10.10 & 10.11 which refer to retiring after a TRM etc, not the offside in general play. The examples WR show in that section of the law...
  3. J

Fdk, deliberate pass into an opponent (?)

From memory FdK has history of doing this. I remember an international where an Australian prop was on the floor directly behind a ruck near the sideline after a failed clear out. He started to stand, realised that he might be in the way and dropped back to the floor, but not before the ball...
  4. J

Would you award a penalty try on the half way line?

I would have, but the judiciary chair at the time was hesitant to suspend or even call younger players (U18 match) to a hearing as it "might set them on a bad trajectory" and increase their wrong doing. Glad to say he's no longer the chair of the judiciary panel. The second YC resulted in a...
  5. J

Would you award a penalty try on the half way line?

I've awarded a PT for foul play on the 50m line. Green attacking on the 5m line and play swept wide. Intercepted by Black winger who was off like a bullet. Green 15 was last man left, came across to cover and shoulder charged the winger into touch. No one else within 25m so PT and YC for the...
  6. J

Cannon arm....

The acts shown in he OP are Illegal for mine as the players are choosing to play off their feet. I think a player who briefly touches the ground to maintain their balance after tripping or similar would be an acceptable use of 13.1, but choosing to use your arm as a support when moving forward...
  7. J

Co-captain

Both players were introduced as captains to me during the PMB. I asked who was the captain today and they pointed at both. The number 4 (the second captain in my tale) said "not me!" so the number 8 was the guy I treated as captain. Turns out the players picked the captain against the coaches...
  8. J

Co-captain

I've had the opposite experience with co-captains here. A team with a higher number of PI's picked a player for match day captain who, despite being a great player, rarely took responsibility for his players and didn't communicate warnings or chat back through to the players. I could see it...
  9. J

Orange Card

Referee doesn't even need to carry a card anymore under your proposal. Just point to the sideline when a YC is awarded. Currently, showing the card is just to let the sideline know how long the send off is (YC or RC). If the TMO is going to make the final call on the time on the sideline...
  10. J

Steward RC

I've been pretty vocal about enacting a black card, much in the way the Gaelic sports use them, which is similar to what Ian outlines above. It provides an additional level of flexibility and a black card does indicate that the referee believes that the infringement is sufficiently serious to...
  11. J

Steward RC

I think that contact between the players was unavoidable unless we want to stop tackling altogether and the Irish player dropping their head made head contact unavoidable for the tackler. I think the Poms were hard done by with this call, lead by the TMO, but JP needs to take some responsibilty.
  12. J

Managing repeated offside at the breakdown?

IMO YC aren't harsh for repeated infringements at youth levels, especially if you have explained what is happening and there is materiality in the ongoing infringements. You aren't the coach but you are expected to fairly apply the laws of the match - if one team choses to either ignore you or...
  13. J

Super Rugby 2023 defending scrum half law trial

Come down to Tas Dickie - Nothing between us and Super Rugby!
  14. J

Uini Antonio Banned

IMO its a poor approach to take, especially at grassroots. If a player has committed an action which triggers enough of our spider senses that we are thinking straight RC then its pretty likely to be a RC. Taking the approach that "RC ruin matches" actually does a giant disservice to the game...
  15. J

Super Rugby 2023 Yellow Card trial

I like the concept - but can the TMO override the "full" red card if on review the foul play that the MO team has seen contains some level of mitigation that was unseen or unjudged? For example the sanction given to Koriobete against France which was widely seen as not RC worthy after the...