Recent content by Jz558

1. J

Grounded?

Interestingly, the latest World Rugby video with NO says that if the ref is unsighted they can ask the question try or no try.
  2. J

Offside after a kick Bath vs Gloucester

I'm sort of with CR on this, whilst not a brilliant look for the game, left alone, I suspect it would be a short term thing. I notice from the article posted above that Super Rugby has decided that the kicker/onside chasers must put their players onside rather than requiring those in front to...
  3. J

Offside after a kick Bath vs Gloucester

If the law was changed so that no player could be put onside by the actions of the opposition then that would help. I understand that there remains the possibility of the kicker, being the hindmost player on the field, being injured on/after kicking and being unable to play his team on side but...
  4. J

Interception by knocking ball forward and gather?

Ive always worked on the basis that a knock on is accidental and if gathered before etc etc .... is fine but a deliberate knock forward isn't. Unfortunately in this case I'd be struggling. If I'm honest I'd probably award the try but, if he'd knocked it over another player to score I wouldn't. I...
  5. J

Quiet weekend

I think the subtle difference here though is that in this example the ref decided that the ball wasnt knocked forward in the initial contact and only ever went backwards rather than initially forward and then slapped backwards.
  6. J

Are you ready for .... <drumroll> Player Mic !!

Scepticism and disapproval is what we do best! I read an interview with Pat Lam about the mic and he said it obviously couldn't be anyone calling the moves or whose language he didnt trust so he was struggling for candidates.
  7. J

Shot Clock Why?

I can't find the evidence to back this up but I seem to remember, relatively recenty, that Luke Pearce asked a player to take the kick rather than run down the 90 seconds. The player complied but I wonder what would have happend if he'd said "I have 90 seconds".
  8. J

Ooh, gotta love a competition

No1 surely will be a photo of Eddie getting the Aussie version of his P45.
  9. J

Clearer than other Unions for L+L?

Am aware that this is from a news report and so it may not be comprehensive but on initial detection there doesnt appear to be any mention of late and low. So the ball carrier may change their height at any time providing the ‘safe zone’ between the sternum and mid-thigh, is accessible to the...
  10. J

Is the Bunker working?

I like the honest points he makes and I think his main thrust will resonate with many. I am accountable for the decisions I make but may struggle to explain the ones I didn't make. I get the sense that those referees that have questioned the bunker feel that it undermines their authority without...
  11. J

Is the Bunker working?

But again only to those with a subscription it seems.
  12. J

ADVANTAGE WHEN TIME IS UP

I thought we had done until Stu replied to a comment I made some days ago. I disagree with your argument but happy to archive
  13. J

ADVANTAGE WHEN TIME IS UP

What territorial advantage did Wales gain? Territorial advantage/advancement up the field/gain in territory can only be realised in the next phase of play and once time is up there is no next phase. Whether they made 5m or 95 they were no better off.
  14. J

Fdk, deliberate pass into an opponent (?)

I seem to remember that the clarification was issued because the old wording in law (paraphrased) said that the defending team could charge when the kicker began their approach to kick which some people took to mean 'motion towards'. The clarification and now wording in law says 'moves in any...
  15. J

Fdk, deliberate pass into an opponent (?)

From a kickers perspective there are two distinct parts to the kick. The set up involving placing, addressing the ball, stepping back and to the side (maybe throwing some grass) then the second part is the actual movement to kick the ball. In my view kickers have a responsibility to ensure the...