Recent content by lawsons

1. L

Latcher foot in touch

Imagine the scenario. 5m attacking lineout to blue, last play of the game, losing by 4. They catch and form a contested maul. Defenders push half the maul into touch as it trundles to the try line. The maul goes over the corner flag as the maul goes over the line. At no point does the ball...
  2. L

tackle height, no dipping and pick and go.

As I understand it they are going to distinguish between “open play” and “other play” (or some other term). Pick and goes from the base of a ruck, scrum etc would be deemed other play )as would mauls etc). The below waist law would only apply to open play. Current law to other play. This if you...
  3. L

50:22 from a free kick

Blue fly half on red’s 10m line, attempts cross field kick and red winger catches it in his 22 and calls a mark. He then taps it and kicks it indirectly into touch in blues 22. Is it a 50:22?
  4. L

Reckless Endangerment

The modification you need if the kicking team cannot compete in the air for the ball. The defending team can, thereby preventing them being lined up for a hospital tackle. But if you kick it, you must stay on the ground. Solves all problems.
  5. L

U14 numbers

Hi, Been some confusion on games I have been involved with between clubs so seeking confirmation from this group please. The u14 laws state “the game is played between sides of equal numbers not exceeding 15”. This obviously doesn’t apply to yellow card situations which is 5 mins. Does it...
  6. L

Line out maul

What am I missing? Line out to blue. Red don’t engage. Blue bring the ball down and form their mail. This would happen immediately. Ball at the front. Under the new one person latched law, I assume they must either delatch to one person prior to a tackler engaging or run the risk of being...
  7. L

New law signals

Anyone know what the signals are for the new laws? Ie clear out on legs etc
  8. L

[Law] Dropping out of the line

Is it just me do refs not ping this any more?
  9. L

U14

Obviously we missed all of last year so have moved straight from u12 to u14 without playing any games. In order to prepare for next season in the hope we will be playing more normally, for u14 what is the process for line outs in England. Do the side throwing in have to win it? What is meant by...
  10. L

Covid-19 Returning to play in Sept?

I am becoming increasingly concerned that amateur rugby will not be possible next season. I just can’t see what will change between now and May next year that will mean scrums, mauls etc are safe. Being overweight is apparently a major contributor in complications for this virus, so putting...
  11. L

Law 15.7 binding onto player in the ruck

Some of the videos in the rugby laws app are baffling to me. Look at this one. White 18 gets pinged for playing the ball, just before yellow 9 does the same. Apparently this is an example of him not binding. Is he supposed to bind onto yellow 9 or will he then get pinged for playing the 9. There...
  12. L

[Law] Penalty here or scrum there!

What do you think the point of the scrum option is and have you ever had someone take? Do you even offer it ? Why don’t they just drop it?
  13. L

[Maul] U11 maul

I note the laws say the ball should be made available within 5 seconds of a maul being formed. Can I confirm therefore that this ‘use it’ requirement is in place even if the mail is moving forward? There is no reference in Appendix 5 to forward movement of a maul.
  14. L

Shoulder padding

Is there advice, guidance, protocol around when kids can where shoulder padding?
  15. L

[Mini/Midi] U9 tackle

Re the U9's tackle: Any contact below the arm pits of the ball carrier which results in a grip by the opponent of the ball carrier. Where the ball carrier remains on their feet the referee must call “TACKLE” (allow approx 3 secs to establish whether ball carrier held). Where ball carrier is...