Recent content by Mike Selig

1. M

Injured - out until Xmas

How annoying! Decent start to the season, couple of reasonable assessments. Working on positioning and scrums and genuinely felt they were improving. Then 3 weeks ago tomorrow got a twinge in a game I was reffing, walking difficult the next day so went to see a doctor who said it was a bruised...
  2. M

Referee rating by Mike Selig - Craig Joubert - NZ v Aus

BIASED REPORT Kinda... My dad's an Ausie, does that make it biased? :biggrin: OFFSIDES 7 ADVANTAGE 9 SCRUMS 9 RUCKS & MAULS 6.5 TACKLE 9 CONTROL 10 COMMUNICATION 10 DANGEROUS PLAY 10 FITNESS 10 ATTITUDE 10 OVERALL 8 OTHER COMMENTS Thought he was a bit lenient around the rucks with entry and...
  3. M

Referee rating by Mike Selig - Allain Rolland - Fra v Wales

BIASED REPORT Yes OFFSIDES 9 ADVANTAGE 8 SCRUMS 9 RUCKS & MAULS 7 TACKLE 10 CONTROL 10 COMMUNICATION 9 DANGEROUS PLAY 10 :biggrin: FITNESS 9 ATTITUDE 9 OVERALL 9 OTHER COMMENTS: Slightly short advantage at times? Let attacking players seal off too regularly for my liking, and IMO got the final...
  4. M

Another Assessment

Level 9 game, feisty and always threatening to boil over, so I was quite pleased I managed to keep control of it. Here is the report: NAME OF REFEREE: MIKE SELIG LEVEL: 10 SOCIETY WSOR MATCH TYPE: LEAGUE LEVEL: 9...
  5. M

First Assessment this year: short?

Hi all, Here is the report I've just got: Name Mike Selig Referee’s Level 10 Society Warwickshire Date 01/10/11 Home Team Green 34pts v Away Team Black 23pts Description of the Match and its challenge for the Referee Game Level__10_____ Green...
  6. M

Mark from a PK

Gents, Both my TJs today were of the opinion that you couldn't take a mark from a PK (that is, red kick a PK aiming for touch, Blue player inside 22 catches ball and calls mark, I awarded it). I was of the opinion that they were wrong (and was ready to get a law-book out, but mine was from...
  7. M

Where to start...?

Evening all, Maybe the best place to start is the end result. 5 YCs (4 against away side), 2 RCs (both away - both for abuse). Final score 46-7 to home. Away side (wonder if Phil E has ever come accross them) quite simply the side with the worst rugby ethos I've ever come accross. Within the...
  8. M

Too many cards?

Hi all, The title says it all really, in the last 3 games I've given a total of 5 YCs and 1 RC. Today again I gave 2 YCs both to the home side. First one, red prop clear side entry 25 meters out, not the first time red had killed the ball. As blue took a quick tap the same prop tackled the...
  9. M

First Assessment this season...

Overall pretty pleased with it: Home team 16-24 away team (level 10) Description of the Match and its challenge for the referee The first 30 mins saw four outbreaks of “handbagging” and some general ill discipline being displayed by both teams, but generally...
  10. M

Proto Marxist Troublemakers or Righteous Indignation?

Re: Varsity Match There is a huge difference between provocation and using force. Neither of these actions harmed anybody. Hitting people with batons does and charging people who are attempting to get away on horseback could. The point I am trying to make is that as the law the police are...
  11. M

Shoulder brush = automatic RC?

Hi all, Not sure which section I should've put this in so plumped for "was it right?" and be done. Yesterday I found myself outside in the pouring rain doing a college cup tie between Blue and Green. Green won on PKs (!) but that's another story. Game was fiercely competitive, but played in...
  12. M

Couple of questions

Evening gents (and chopper...), Just wanted to get your opinions/advice on a couple of incidents which happened during a mid-week match I had. Only my second game of the season after a lengthy lay-off due to injury (my hamstring decided it didn't like a movement I did and so would tear into a...
  13. M

Disciplinary hearing

Hi everyone, Not sure if this was the right place to post it, but I've been asked to go to the discplinary hearing of a player who I sent off about a month ago and who is alleging I got the wrong guy. My plan is to be in control of the facts, and just be honnest, but I was wondering whether...