Recent content by Reindeer Flotilla

1. Reindeer Flotilla

Pre-test match referee society meeting

The CARFU Referee Society would like to invite any referees visiting Chicago for the All Blacks-Ireland test match (and/or the Eagles-Maori match) to our society meeting. It's going to be held at the Black Rock pub on the city's northwest side (easily accessible by public transportation) on...
  2. Reindeer Flotilla

All-time low in try scoring during 2013 Six Nations: time for bonus points?

ESPN Scrum detailed some of the stats from the Six Nations. We all know scrums were a mess, but try scoring was also at an all-time low. Should the 6N go to the same points system used by the rest of the pro rugby community in order to incent try scoring?
  3. Reindeer Flotilla

Who has lost games to the unseasonably cold spring so far?

Title says it all. I had a men's D2 game lined up for tomorrow, but it was called off because the local park district won't let them play until the ground thaws a bit more.
  4. Reindeer Flotilla

Kurtley Beale is amazing

Finally watching England v. Australia and just saw Beale's try. He's grown incredibly as a a player the last year.
  5. Reindeer Flotilla

First season over

My first full season refereeing ended today. I started last March doing a high school boys B side scrimmage. It ended today with an AR role on a 3-man crew at the Midwest Division II Western Conference final. In between I refereed as much as I could, which included 19 matches, one sevens...
  6. Reindeer Flotilla

We didn't talk about the tree branches over the end goal...

Yesterday I was refereeing a Division II men's college match in the Chicago area. Northwestern University was awarded a scrum at their own five-meter line after a Northern Illinois University knock on. After winning possession, Northwestern passed back into the end goal area where the flyhalf...