Recent content by robertti

1. R

Lineout Offside.....Again

G'day guys, its good to be back :) a slight absense. Just wanted to ask your guy's view on a lineout offside situation that happened to me in a 4th grade game on the weekend. We all know a player cannot step across the line of touch until the ball is tapped/thrown down from the lineout by a...
  2. R

Mark from 22m Drop Out

I am baffled by the latest IRB Ruling that says that a mark can be taken from a 22m drop out. "The FFR has requested a ruling with regard Law 18 Mark and Law 13 Kick off and Restart Kicks In the definition of Law 18 Mark, it stipulates that a mark cannot be made from a kick off. This implies...
  3. R

Carding a Player on the Bench

I think this scenario stemmed from a football game I saw recently. In one FA Cup tie, English football ref Howard Webb yellow carded an Everton player who was on the bench (i.e not in the field of play but warming up on the sidelines) for mouthing off at his assistant. In football obviously a...
  4. R

Longest Suspensions Ever

Just out of interest's sake, I was wondering if any of you knew what is the longest suspension ever given out by a disciplinary committee in Rugby Union. Obviously international suspensions would be of much more interest, but any lengthy grassroots or club level suspensions would be of interest...
  5. R

TMO Restrictions

As we all know in Rugby Union the Television Match Official can only adjudicate on events the involve the actual grounding of the ball when it to a try. I have long been baffled by this as it seems the TMO's power is being somewhat wasted. Rugby League is the typical example; when called upon...
  6. R

A Very Basic Question Maybe

Today I refereed a schools match and after setting the first scrum I heard some comments from the sideline from the coach of the scrumhalf who was not throwing in the ball. He was talking to his scrumhalf on the field telling him that his opposite number (i.e. the player throwing in the ball)...
  7. R

Receiver Laws

I personally think this is one of the most complicated laws of Rugby. Not just one law, but a whole bunch of laws overlapping each other and knowing which one to apply when. They relate to the receiver running into the lineout. I'd just like to attempt to summarise the laws myself and then ask...
  8. R

Advantage Decisions

I just typed a wonderful new thread that took me 15 minutes to perfect, and then my computer crashed on me! So I'll try again. This is a situation that I am sure you have all come across - either by refereeing it yourself, or seeing other referees dealing with it. It arises after the referee...
  9. R

Dodgy Scrums

Since I just joined the forum I might as well say Hi to everyone. Im Tim and I ref union in Perth, Western Australia. Very exciting times for Rugby here, you've probably heard of the new Super 14 team, the Western Force which is great news. Although I must admit, most referees in this forum seem...