Recent content by smeagol

1. S

Where are you this weekend - 2023/24?

Still in the height of college 7s season, this time in Champaign. Fingers crossed for more competitive games - of the seven games I had Sunday, only two were not blowouts.
  2. S

Saturday - Rockford @ Peoria. Div 3 friendly. Sunday - Trainwreck 7s @ Purdue. College D1 women's 7s qualifier.
  3. S

Tackle height stuff

At the time I posted, there was an effort within my GU (Midwest) to implement the tackle height and late/low trials, but once USAR got wind that both trials would be implemented, the national office threatened to yank insurance coverage. Paired with said threat was an indication that an...
  4. S

4th and 5th officials in the pro game

TZ - technical zone We were physically on the same side of the pitch as the teams, so anyone who needed info from us could physically come up to us and ask. The #4/#5 did this quite a bit when we had multiple timers to juggle.
  5. S

Another double Prescription 7s (hosted by UHSP it St Louis) AR for Mount St Marys vs Lindenwood (national playoff)
  6. S

4th and 5th officials in the pro game

I can only speak to my experience, having worked the TZ just this past weekend for a MLR game. There was an timekeeper in the TZ, who was responsible for the official time. He had an earpiece to listen to the ref comms, and had a push-to-talk radio for coordinating with the stadium/broadcast...
  7. S

Interesting law case .. read the full twitter thread and the full judgement

Has the RFU imposed disciplinary actions against the offender based on the video evidence?
  8. S

Tackle height stuff

At the national level, the tackle height changes will be in effect starting 9/1/24 (the competition year runs Sep-Aug). At the regional/local level, they are in effect immediately (excepting Super Regionals/Nationals events for the 2023/4 competition year and U19).
  9. S

Covering 3-4 games at Dawgtown 7s, then walking over to SeatGeek Stadium to work the TZ for Seawolves/Hounds.
  10. S

Cramps

Outside of properly hydrating in the leadup, interested to hear others’ tips and stories for cramps during/after a game. No matter the conditions, I always pack a bottle of Pedialyte and a jar of pickles. I’ve heard athletic trainers tell stories of raiding concession stands for mustard...
  11. S

Best laid plans of mice and men 7s event cancelled, so doing a high school festival instead. Starts around 9, temps will be below 40F and windy.
  12. S

Penalty Try *and* penalty restart

Restarts after a score are 12.4 Drop-outs are 12.11-19
  13. S

Lindenwood Women's 7s in the morning AR'ing Lindenwood Men's 1sts against Adrian at 7pm
  14. S

Penalty Try *and* penalty restart

Last weekend, a senior referee described an incident where a defender led with knees as an attacker was in the act of scoring. He couldn’t definitively determine whether the ball had been grounded, so gave the PT and restarted with a penalty to the attacking side on the halfway. IMO, this was...
  15. S

City 7s in Kansas City - another road trip, only 4+ hours this time.