Recent content by sotiras

1. S

[Maul] Lineout - contrived offence?

L7 game black win lineout just outside the opponents 22, form up around the ball in anticipation of trundiling it upfield with a maul, blue refuse to engage. No maul formed, referee awards accidental offside by Black - Blue scrum. I guess he could have played the truck and trailer card, but...
  2. S

[Line out] When is a QTI considered as "marked"

When exactly is a quick throw in option considered as marked, and no longer available? I accept that there is a requirement for 2 from each team to form the lineout, but at what point does the QTI option disappear, with regard to players forming up on the LOT. I recently called one as "no...
  3. S

Uncontested "Ruck" offside lines

OK I am a greenhorn, but I really struggle to comprehend the following... Tackle made, ball carrier brought to ground, defending team do not contest the situation, they simply step away and organise a defence leaving the tackler under a heap of attacking forwards driving over, and protecting...
  4. S

Playing advantage after a red card incident?

U18s cup game, good spirit, no issues whatsoever prior to the incident. Incident was player tackles and lifts opponent on half way line, not seen to go beyond the horizontal, and then drops him. Poor technique - no malice. Referee plays advantage for 30 seconds or so allowing the attacking...
  5. S

Must 15 be allowed to his feet

I have searched and can't find any previous mentions of this. Blue 15 retreating inside his 22 and dives onto a moving ball to gather it, being chased down hard by a Red attacker. I understand that 15 must attempt to get to his feet immediately, otherwise PK (or maybe even penalty try if 1v1)...
  6. S

Offside in open play

Newbie ref with question number 1 - please be gentle! At the weekend I refereed a match in which I found myself running alongside the ball carrier for half the length of the pitch on his way to a try, thinking - "I've got this one wrong." Scenario is open play, with no Scrum, ruck or maul...