Recent content by upnunder

1. U

London Marathon 2014

Hi All, In a little over 2 weeks I will be running the London Marathon. I was set the challenge by my wife, who kindly entered me into the Ballot without my knowledge. It turns out the London Marathon isn't difficult enough to get into, so I am now running it. I have been training since early...
  2. U

Great game spoiled by last 2 minutes

I refereed on Saturday. Great game, really competitive throughout. Two minutes left, away team win a line out on their own 5m line but seal off at the resulting ruck. I penalize, so home team, down by 6 points decide to tap and set up a driving maul 5m out. The maul is moving fairly quickly...
  3. U

Target Achieved

Just had the letter through confirming that I have been up graded to level 6. When I started refereeing 4 years ago this was my goal. My progression has been helped in no small part by the information I read on this forum. I have picked up no end of tips from other referees, assessors...
  4. U

Matson v Bristol Harlequins

Hi All, Going down there on exchange next weekend, any useful information on either team. My experiences of refereeing in the South West has always been fairly good. It is always a challenge and the crowds are definitely not shy in sharing their opinions, but that is fun. Thanks Upnunder
  5. U

How far does a referee cover during a game?

I wondered how far a referee covers during a game, so wore my Garmin last week to see if it picked up all my movements. The results were quite interesting (to me anyway). the game can be seen here http://connect.garmin.com/activity/163362139#.T4R_1PafSXA.link The game was a Yorkshire 1 (level...
  6. U

Yorkshire exchange

Off to do York v Castleford this weekend. Has anyone got any advice on either side ahead of my trip
  7. U

ENG Team v Scot

England side to face Scotland England Team to face Scotland 15 Ben Foden (Northampton Saints) 14 Chris Ashton (Northampton Saints) 13 Brad Barritt (Saracens)* 12 Owen Farrell (Saracens)* 11 David Strettle (Saracens) 10 Charlie Hodgson (Saracens) 9 Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers) 1 Alex...
  8. U

Promoted to Level 7

Just had a letter from my society telling me I have been promoted to L7 Thanks again for the good advice on this forum for helping me to progress, I find it invaluable to see the perspective of other referees. I havent been refereeing that long, this is only my 3rd season, so I have so much...
  9. U

Cheshunt Exchange

Off down to v Hitchin on exchange this Saturday. Has anyone refereed them this season and can share any pearls of wisdom. That may aid my game?
  10. U

Quick wins with Assessors

To our esteemed Assessor/Match Observer colleagues on here. Are there any specific things you look for in a referee that are easy for the referee to do, that are usually overlooked by referees? Are there any thing that referees do often that drive you mad either before/during/after the match...
  11. U

Latest Report

Only a couple of points I would disagree with- offsides werent a problem in the game- both scrum halves took ages to pass the ball, so it looked like defence was up too early, but they werent. Other one is the tackler not releasing- Assessor didnt mention this at all in the post match debrief...
  12. U

Exchange to Hertfordshire this Saturday

St Albans 1st XV v UCS Old Boys 1st XV- London 2 NW. Has anyone refereed these sides before and can share any experiences/things to note. Thanks James
  13. U

Gloucestershire Exchange

1. CHALLENGE OF THE MATCH: A sunny afternoon with a cold breeze blowing across a firm flat pitch was the setting for these two teams who both gained promotion last season. Both teams were looking for their first league win to get them off of the bottom of the table. The home team fielded a...
  14. U

Restart and Injury Query

Hi All, In my game on Saturday the following happened, and I wanted opinion on whether I acted correctly. Red Drop out restart after a score by Black Kick goes very high, and players from Red are running to compete for ball with Black(recieving side). As a red player goes to jump for the...
  15. U

Exchange to Gloucestershire this Saturday

Longlevens v Bishopston this Saturday. Has anyone refereed either of them before and can pass on any valuable information? Thanks James