Here's one I've never seen in Senior Rugby.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Blue kick through to corner and red FB runs across to cover.

Kicker and two team-mates are bearing down on FB. No team mates of FB within 20 metres.

He gathers the ball and.... flings it into touch!!!! ??????

L7!!!!!!!!

I run under the crossbar and award PT.

I perhaps should have explained to Captain first! Dunno? I explained to Captain as we went back to half way for restart. He didn't seem to aggrieved at the order I did it. He was most aggrieved at his FB!! ?

I haven't seen that since a U13 game I did about 15 years ago.

I have seen a few RL stylee - slapping it dead in goal instances but never in my games.

Last edited:

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
But has he prevented a try from probably being scored if he has clear possession before being tackled and was close to the line ?
I'd be tempted just to card him.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
But has he prevented a try from probably being scored if he has clear possession before being tackled and was close to the line ?

And not award the PT?

I thought about carding him as well! :ROFLMAO:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

He wasn't tackled. He slid on the floor gathered the ball and hoiked it into touch in one deft movement. I worked on the beam him up principle and once removed 3 blues could have picked up the ball and scored - a try would "probably" have been scored.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Should have carded him as well. Law 8.3

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I think I just talked myself out of it.

I'll remember next time.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I didn't at L7 when awarding a PT at a 5m scrum when it was clear that the TH had been unable to push in the right direction. It was his first (at 45 mins) (and it turned out only) offence at an otherwise excellent scrum contest all match. I took that into consideration, and wondered what problems any replacement would give us! The MOD made no comment about the lack of YC, including when I specifically asked him.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'd agree with ctrainor here. If the player had the opportunity to force it down and the chasers weren't close enough to the ball to be in a realistic position to score at the time the player batted/swept it out I'd be going PK rather than PT and attached card. If the players were close (shoulder to shoulder) and the defender swatted the ball to prevent a score then PT and YC.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I'd agree with ctrainor here. If the player had the opportunity to force it down and the chasers weren't close enough to the ball to be in a realistic position to score at the time the player batted/swept it out I'd be going PK rather than PT and attached card. If the players were close (shoulder to shoulder) and the defender swatted the ball to prevent a score then PT and YC.

Forcing it down wasn't an option unless he stood up and ran back into in goal. The throw was from the FoP into touch (whilst he was on the ground).

His options other than his illegal act shouldn't enter into the PT decision. He could have stood up, side stepped all three and ran the length of the field and scored. He didn't. As such he needs "beaming up" - that being the case then after the beaming we are left with: the ball on the floor, 3 blue players between 2 and 6 metres from the ball and the goal line a further 5 metres away, no cover.

The PT was correct (IMO) - the lack of a YC to go with it is where I fell short.

Ironically I gave a PT the week before and did dispatch the culprit for 10 minutes - early tackle about 5m out, no cover.

I wonder if I sub-consciously just didn't equate him being a bit shit with foul play!? ?

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Forcing it down wasn't an option unless he stood up and ran back into in goal. The throw was from the FoP into touch (whilst he was on the ground).

His options other than his illegal act shouldn't enter into the PT decision. He could have stood up, side stepped all three and ran the length of the field and scored. He didn't. As such he needs "beaming up" - that being the case then after the beaming we are left with: the ball on the floor, 3 blue players between 2 and 6 metres from the ball and the goal line a further 5 metres away, no cover.

The PT was correct (IMO) - the lack of a YC to go with it is where I fell short.

Ironically I gave a PT the week before and did dispatch the culprit for 10 minutes - early tackle about 5m out, no cover.

I wonder if I sub-consciously just didn't equate him being a bit shit with foul play!? ?
I misunderstood the initial post here. I thought it was kicked into the in-goal in the corner and more swatted than thrown.

Its foul play, but possibly the least foul of the foul play (if we think about striking, kicking, etc) and seems like a jobsworth thing to YC a player for - if technically correct.

Sending someone for that seems excessive compared to a high tackle - do we PT & YC a player on their line who was 1m offside who intentionally tackles the BC - this is also foul play and should they be beamed up too?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I misunderstood the initial post here. I thought it was kicked into the in-goal in the corner and more swatted than thrown.

Its foul play, but possibly the least foul of the foul play (if we think about striking, kicking, etc) and seems like a jobsworth thing to YC a player for - if technically correct.

Sending someone for that seems excessive compared to a high tackle - do we PT & YC a player on their line who was 1m offside who intentionally tackles the BC - this is also foul play and should they be beamed up too?
I know what you mean. Foul Play - despite us all having a clear definition in the LotG - still conjures up dirty/dangerous/unsportsmanlike play in my mind's eye and I think that's why I didn't go for my pocket on this occasion.

On reflection I was wrong in Law as Phil and chbg pointed out but perhaps my empathetic/sympathetic head took over as I watched Harry Hapless thrashing around in a trough of his own ineptitude.

I'm too nice for all this.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Blue kick through to corner and red FB runs across to cover.

Kicker and two team-mates are bearing down on FB. No team mates of FB within 20 metres.

He gathers the ball and.... flings it into touch!!!! ??????

L7!!!!!!!!

I run under the crossbar and award PT.
I see your L7, and raise you LC-D, 6N

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
do we PT & YC a player on their line who was 1m offside who intentionally tackles the BC - this is also foul play and should they be beamed up too?
Offside is often an "accidental" overstep (but none the less if material PK) where are this action is C & O a deliberated action. PT and YC for me.