Uncontested scrums, no 8 pick?

RemainingInTheGame

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Quick question.

I ref junior club rugby, and with COVID and flu there are lots of issues with numbers, often resulting in uncontested scrums.

Is number 8 allowed to pick up at base in an uncontested scrum?

Local competition rules don’t mention it, and at a global level I think that the new rules just state uncontested scrum are basically same as normal scrum with no push and must come back to feeding side, so I have been allowing.

I have no issue when all loose forwards are present, but if it’s a 6 person scrum it feels like there is an advantage in number 8 picking.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I referee uncontested scrums as requiring 8 players from both teams and apart from the change around no contest, no other changes to the laws applied.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Quick question.

I ref junior club rugby, and with COVID and flu there are lots of issues with numbers, often resulting in uncontested scrums.

Local competition rules don’t mention it, and at a global level I think that the new rules just state uncontested scrum are basically same as normal scrum with no push and must come back to feeding side, so I have been allowing.

I have no issue when all loose forwards are present, but if it’s a 6 person scrum it feels like there is an advantage in number 8 picking.
The No.8 can't pick up in uncontested scrums was a law last in place in the early 2000's.It hasn't been a thing for at least 15 years.

Yet it is a law that most players/spectators are absolutely certain about and will tell the ref they are wrong at every opportunity.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
In Wales it is no number 8 pick up from a UC scrum but it is only at "local" level so not at URC or cross border stuff. THe theory, as I understand is that a pick up is easier from a static (UC) scrum.

This is why answers (and questions) often need the context of country particularly when references age grade stuff as there are a lot of local variations out there.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Quick question.

uncontested scrums require 8 people
(unless there is a specific age-group variation in your country that I wouldn't be aware of)

As everyone else says - #8 can pick up ((unless there is a specific age-group variation in your country that I wouldn't be aware of!), always best to get this clear with both teams, at the first one, before any pick up happens! (esp because last week's ref may have disallowed it)

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

I should have made that a bit more detailed - when numbering down due to less than 15 a side the numbers in the scrum must also match, especially in juniors. I know down here we have specific requirements i.e. when only 7 in a scrum there is no #8; if only 6 in the scrum, both flankers are dropped; with 5 in the scrum the back three disappear; and its not permitted to have less than 5 in the scrum.

Locke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I also do not allow the opposition scrum half to put pressure on the pass from the scrum half of the team in possession. I do not find clear justification for this in the laws but find it to be in line with the spirit of the definition provided in the laws that says the team throwing in “wins possession without contest”.

Do you all allow it?

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I also do not allow the opposition scrum half to put pressure on the pass from the scrum half of the team in possession. I do not find clear justification for this in the laws but find it to be in line with the spirit of the definition provided in the laws that says the team throwing in “wins possession without contest”.

Do you all allow it?
Haven't found the 9 that keen to try to pressure the opposition during uncontested, more likely to drop out into the backs to get ready for the rush.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7

Do you all allow it?
Yes, it is allowed but most 9s don't know that!😉

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Haven't found the 9 that keen to try to pressure the opposition during uncontested, more likely to drop out into the backs to get ready for the rush.
This.

In an uncontested scrum, there's usually no point trying to dick about at the back since the forwards can relativel;y easily just move the ball to the far side.

Far better to simply pressure 10, or drop back and cover.

If the 9 was interested, I'd allow it.