Ball thrown into touch

Steflach

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Hi all! First post.

Played for years and now reffing in Canada. This came up at a game recently.

Time was up, so I said “last play before half time” after awarding a penalty. The team in possession wanted to get to half time, and asked if they could kick it out. I said yes, but not directly as that would result in the line out being played (as per the new-ish law on that).

So the kicker taps the ball, and rather than then kicking it out, throws it (backwards) right into touch. It was obviously deliberate, but as this was a pre-season friendly, I blew for half time.

Opposition coach wasn’t happy, said I should have awarded his team a penalty. Now, in my mind I was sure he was correct and I said so, but added that since it was a friendly and a blazing hot day, we could all use the break.

So that night I checked the laws and did some googling. I found this article on this exact thing: https://rugby365.com/laws-referees/law-discussions/law-discussion-throwing-the-ball-away/

However; that law (10.2) in the current law book refers to offside. And I’ve read through the laws repeatedly and can’t find, in the current laws, any reference to throwing or knocking the ball into touch resulting in a penalty. The only related thing I can find is under 18.8 where it says “A player unintentionally knocks, passes or throws the ball into touch.” Sanction here is of course line out to the opposition. But it doesn’t say what happens if the player does this intentionally.

So, my question is this: is the sanction for this a line out, or a penalty? And if it’s a penalty, can someone point me to the law which makes that clear?

Thanks in advance!

Dave Elliott

Administrator
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
welcome, I’ve given you access to the refs area also.

in relation to your question, you are correct, it is a pen offence, 9.7b
  1. Intentionally knock, place, push or throw the ball with arm or hand from the playing area.

Steflach

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
welcome, I’ve given you access to the refs area also.

in relation to your question, you are correct, it is a pen offence,

Thank you! Don’t know how i didn’t see that right there in the laws!

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
"Opposition coach wasn’t happy, said I should have awarded his team a penalty. Now, in my mind I was sure he was correct and I said so, but added that since it was a friendly and a blazing hot day, we could all use the break."

Well managed, lessons learned all round in a friendly.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
"Opposition coach wasn’t happy, said I should have awarded his team a penalty. Now, in my mind I was sure he was correct and I said so, but added that since it was a friendly and a blazing hot day, we could all use the break."

Well managed, lessons learned all round in a friendly.
all games are different, but in 9/10 friendlies, I'd give the PK.
It's all part of the game, it's a pre-season warm up, one team gets to practice making a quick PK decision, after time has expired, the other team gets to practice defending a totally unexpected PK metres from the line. Both valuable pre-season learnings.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Pre season friendlies are there to shake the kinks out and get everybody ready for the season.

To my mind, that means playing to the laws, firmly. "Oh it's just a friendly" very rarely leads anywhere good.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Pre season friendlies are there to shake the kinks out and get everybody ready for the season.

To my mind, that means playing to the laws, firmly. "Oh it's just a friendly" very rarely leads anywhere good.
I've heard " only a friendly. ...ignore the 'little knock ons" too often. They're only "little" until you ignore them!!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Intentionally knock, place, push or throw the ball with arm or hand from the playing area.

I've always found the place one interesting. So a player who is tackled near the touchline can't reach and ground the ball over the touchline? :oops:

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Intentionally knock, place, push or throw the ball with arm or hand from the playing area.

I've always found the place one interesting. So a player who is tackled near the touchline can't reach and ground the ball over the touchline? :oops:
Agreed. You could hold the ball in both hands and touch the line with your elbow, or the back of your hand, but not touch the ball down. What about rolling the ball into touch?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Agreed. You could hold the ball in both hands and touch the line with your elbow, or the back of your hand, but not touch the ball down. What about rolling the ball into touch?
being pedantic, would that in effect be a push? (appreciating that I suspect "push" means propelling a ball not initially held etc )