C'wealth Games

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I have often thought I’d like to see a ‘thrower’ event with athletes having to throw all four implements to win.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I have often thought I'd like to see someone throw Jacob Rees-Mogg off Beachy Head!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Exactly! They are all technically DIFFERENT. Just as different swimming strokes are different in terms of technique.

A I say try Speed Walking you might find it a lot more difficult and disciplined than you think. You may open your eyes.
Whoever said it wasn't difficult? I am sure it is

Also difficult would be 1500m running backwards (backrun)
Also difficult would be 1500m running but your legs and arms must move together (butterfly run)
Also difficult would be 1500m in a sack

All very difficult, all rather silly.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
All of those are not natural movements walking is. At the distances you use (obviously being obtuse for effect) the contest would not be safe or practical. But hey I'm not going to convert you.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I think these 5 were in Johnson's last cabinet.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
All of those are not natural movements walking is. At the distances you use (obviously being obtuse for effect) the contest would not be safe or practical. But hey I'm not going to convert you.
Walking is natural, of course, but it's not the movement for speed, for racing

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Walking is natural, of course, but it's not the movement for speed, for racing
Looking at speed-walkers, that’s not how people naturally walk. Just rename it to the ‘speed-wiggle’.

But then again - the triple jump aka hop skip and a jump aka competitive hopscotch - why?! How did that become a thing?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Swimming is just silly, all swimming should be freestyle

It's as though we had
200m running
200m skipping
200m running backwards
200m jumping
200m walking
200m sideways running

Etc
(And, yes, walking races are equally silly)
I'm OK with different strokes. I just wonder about the proliferation of individual medleys, team relays, team medleys, etc, etc. Close to the point if you don't come home with a bag full, don't bother coming home

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Looking at speed-walkers, that’s not how people naturally walk. Just rename it to the ‘speed-wiggle’.

But then again - the triple jump aka hop skip and a jump aka competitive hopscotch - why?! How did that become a thing?
The main problem with speedwalking is that numerous attempts to control "lifting" (both feet off the ground at the same time) have failed to be accepted.
IAAF Rule 230.2 states that racewalking is a progression of steps with no visible (to the human eye) loss of contact with the ground and that the athlete's advancing leg must be straightened from first contact with the ground until the vertical upright position
This scientific study analyses the problem. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7739735/

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm OK with different strokes. I just wonder about the proliferation of individual medleys, team relays, team medleys, etc, etc. Close to the point if you don't come home with a bag full, don't bother coming home
All races should just be a competition to get from A to B as fast as possible, any technique allowed

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
... or the latest jetpacks used by air ambulances? Human cannons?

How many judges are used in Olympic walking? One per athlete watching every step?!

A list of discontinued Olympic events includes such items as tug of war, plunge for distance, swimming obstacle race. I would happily see race walking join them. It is too ill-defined.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
All races should just be a competition to get from A to B as fast as possible, any technique allowed
yeah. The Australians likely to do very well in these Games not because they are great at cycling, running, throwing or jumping but because they can go through water faster than everyone else

Last edited:

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
... or the latest jetpacks used by air ambulances? Human cannons?

How many judges are used in Olympic walking? One per athlete watching every step?!

A list of discontinued Olympic events includes such items as tug of war, plunge for distance, swimming obstacle race. I would happily see race walking join them. It is too ill-defined.
Tug of war should be included - its always a winner with the crowd.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
yeah. The Australians likely to do very well in these Games not because they are great at cycling, running, throwing or jumping but because they can go through water faster than everyone else

It probably helps when 85% of your population live near the coast.