Time wasting

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I have just read this thread from start to finish. Some years ago Raynal refereed Wasps v Connacht and made a major error in law, not in interpretation but in law, when he allowed Connacht to take a line out (from which they scored to win) when the kick into touch should have ended the match.
He has never been top of my list of favourites since then, and his errors do not surprise.
Would you care to elaborate and substantiate?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
How can World Rugby say the referee made an error when they wrote the law that says the ref is the sole judge?
Because that particular piece of law is clearly absurd.

To take it to the extreme to indicate the point.

Red 4 punches blue 4 in full view of our hypothetical (sole Judge of fact and law DURING the game [ Not during and not after!]) referee. Referee stated " Red 4 yo uhave clearly punched Blue 4. Scrum down Blue put in.

As the "sole judge of fact and law " is he correct? Clearly not. Why has advisors / assessors if the referee is always right?

The point of that bit of law surely is just saying that DURING the game the referee makes the call and the players must accept it an get on with it. After the game any error thart was made can be dealt with as a training and development issue.

So, yes WR can sat the referee made an error.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I have just read this thread from start to finish. Some years ago Raynal refereed Wasps v Connacht and made a major error in law, not in interpretation but in law, when he allowed Connacht to take a line out (from which they scored to win) when the kick into touch should have ended the match.
He has never been top of my list of favourites since then, and his errors do not surprise.
I hope I'm not going to be judged based on one mistake I made in one match five years ago...

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
But they did at the time, hence it was an error.
Oh, newsflash! A referee made an error five years ago...
Shocked-Casablanca.jpg

shebeen

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Oh, newsflash! A referee made an error five years ago...
Shocked-Casablanca.jpg
I think the relevance here is obvious.
It's the same referee that makes a (for want of a better term) disputed call at the death and the outcome of the game is affected.

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I think the relevance here is obvious.
It's the same referee that makes a (for want of a better term) disputed call at the death and the outcome of the game is affected.
What about the many other decisions made during the game, by the referee and the players?

Did they all not contribute in some way to the outcome?

Both teams took some shocking options during the game, Australia made decisions in the last few minutes that led the referee little option.

1665145113753.png