Springboks v Lions

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Agreed. But then....who is at the moment? I can imagine Wayne Barnes would be pretty good at this when he finally hangs up his whistle, but struggle to think of a recently retired Ref who would be better.
It doesn't have to be an elite international ref

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Peter Walton on ITV for the FIFA world cup has been doing this role (expert ref) extremely well

Concise, informative, authoritative
Brief
He's really a good, a model of how to do it

Mipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Peter Walton on ITV for the FIFA world cup has been doing this role (expert ref) extremely well

Concise, informative, authoritative
Brief
He's really a good, a model of how to do it
I would add to that, that Gary Neville is the perfect model of a professional footballers respect for the ref.

All the pundits in the studio disagreed with the penalty, which of course is their right to do so, and opinions are what they are there for. Peter Walton explains “why” it is a penalty, but Gary Neville ignores his reasoning, his explanation of the rules, and doubles down on his own “opinion”. 🤔

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I would add to that, that Gary Neville is the perfect model of a professional footballers respect for the ref.

All the pundits in the studio disagreed with the penalty, which of course is their right to do so, and opinions are what they are there for. Peter Walton explains “why” it is a penalty, but Gary Neville ignores his reasoning, his explanation of the rules, and doubles down on his own “opinion”. 🤔
Yes, it was an illustration of why it's rarely a good idea to try and explain the Laws in the bar after the game !

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Yes, it was an illustration of why it's rarely a good idea to try and explain the Laws in the bar after the game !
That depends.

I was about to get an earful for a "badly not called not straight" on Friday night when I was AR. And it was not straight.
Before the diatribe started, I called over his club's President.
"Nathan, you were at the GMG presentation, right?"
"Er, yeah. Why?"
"What were you told about not straight and what had to happen if you wanted the decision?"
"We had to put a man up in competition."
"And that, mate, is why I didn't call the not straight. You left everyone on the deck"

Collapse of stout party.