Dived on player on ground

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Red 2 goes to ground to gather a loose ball
Blue 10 dives on top of him and I blow for a PK

I immediately realise that in the action Blue's knee has contacted Red's head. I am certain this was not intended. When I blew it was for a PK only , but given the head contact do I turn it into a card ? Colour ?

(Context second half , no problem of dangerous play prior to this. Red players not bothered as they saw it as an accident) Red 2 played on

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I would be thinking just penalty or yellow, based on your description... hard to say which without seeing it, though I would probably lean towards being sympathetic to being a rugby incident in one of my u16 games if I felt it was an accident.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I suppose (being kind) there is an element here of "his knee has to be somewhere". albeit it was only there becasue hed dived on the player in the first place!

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
If you are refereeing with empathy for the players, why make a mountain out of a molehill?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
What would the Head Contact Process tell you to do?

1. Was there head contact? Yes
2. Was there foul play? Yes
3. What was degree of danger - low, medium or high?
4. Was there mitigation? I expect not

Question 3 should give you your answer

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
whilst not at all disagreeing witb Dickie's well made argument, purely for debating purposes... which scenarioo were those head contact laws/regs intrroduced for?

Was the intention to include knees to the head, whilst players on the ground?

And with OBs latin phrase that I can never remember about "absurdium"...

when do we start to forensically examine scrum formations and whose head struck the other's head with force on the engage in the front row?

Appreciating such a debating query is somewhat Chopperesque.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yes, this is the sort of arguments that went through my mind .
I think it's an interesting one. (Hence the post)

I am happy with my decision (PK only, a word with the player, a word of explanation to captains) , but fully acknowledge Dickies post above

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

I am happy with my decision (PK only, a word with the player, a word of explanation to captains) , but fully acknowledge Dickies post above
Agree PK sounds right. The process gives you a basis to escalate if there had been more force

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11

If you felt blue diving on top was reckless then a yellow can be justified in light of the outcome (knee to head).

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I wonder if some of the PK vs. PK+Card cut-over comes down to the (genuine) reaction of the fouled party?

Despite our best intentions if the fouled player shrugs it off as 'just an incident' maybe we end up being more lenient?

Conversely, if we suspect activity bordering on simulation, do we subconsciously downgrade it?

(This is just at those "is it, isn't it" boundaries - punch a player in the face and even if they make a meal of it you're taking a walk.)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
whilst not at all disagreeing witb Dickie's well made argument, purely for debating purposes... which scenarioo were those head contact laws/regs intrroduced for?

Was the intention to include knees to the head, whilst players on the ground?

And with OBs latin phrase that I can never remember about "absurdium"...

when do we start to forensically examine scrum formations and whose head struck the other's head with force on the engage in the front row?

Appreciating such a debating query is somewhat Chopperesque.
Reductio ad absurdum

(You're welcome)