Search results

1. B

Waratahs v chiefs

For a ball to be ’out’ it doesn’t have to be from the end of a ruck. It can come out from the side. In this case there was nobody over the ball to enable the ref to decide it was still ‘in’. There may be grounds to decide he came in from the side but it was marginal. He was onside when the ruck...
  2. B

not sure this is the best advertisement for rugby

The situation here is complicated by the fact that both teams playing in the game benefitted from the lack of action. Under normal circumstances you could easily and credibly penalise a side (time-wasting or gamesmanship) if the other was being disadvantaged. In reality here both teams wasted...
  3. B

Tackle in ball carrier’s own in-goal

I think it is all a matter of timing. If there are two latched to the ball before the original ball carrier goes to ground then I can see some doubt about grounding. If a defender latches on when the ball carrier is in the process of scoring then I would expect a try to be awarded. You quite...
  4. B

Should Refs Only Wear Black Shorts?

I’m in trouble then!? Our local refs do have to wear certain colours - they have sponsors logos on them so local ‘assessors’ are expected to at least make a comment if they are not wearing one of our shirts. We also have society socks and shorts with logos on so the ref is expected to wear them...
  5. B

High LH Binding

It is coached. Fundamentally used to stop the T/H exerting downward pressure and prevent hinging by either prop. In many respects it is to be encouraged because it helps to keep the scrum up. What you have to look out for is the L/H using this position to illegally drive the T/H up/in. It is...
  6. B

Driving ruck too far

At about 5.12-15 on the video clock. No game clock on video, but obviously early in game. I think Luke Pearce was making the point thst there is a limit to how far you can continue to drive a player back past the ruck before it becomes playing a player without the ball and preventing them...
  7. B

Taniela Tupou cited

No matter how hard we try.:)
  8. B

Maul - BC Knees Go to Ground

A ‘dynamic’ maul/tackle situation is one that in theory/definition can be defined as a maul but is still in the process of being a tackle as well. In this situation the accepted guidance is that the ‘tackle’ situation takes precedence for the sake of fluidity in the game. If there is a length of...
  9. B

Playing the ball whilst on the ground

a.) If it is a knock on and prevents the opposition obtaining an advantage then the player can be subject to sanction. If it’s not a knock on then it is still a case of going to ground to play the ball in my mind. b.) Still a case of going to ground to complete an action. It all depends how long...
  10. B

Playing the ball whilst on the ground

Going to ground to do an action is different to being already on the ground and then doing the action?
  11. B

It all depends if the ball carrier going to ground with one knee is regarded as a collapsed maul. If it is then the ‘tackler’ doesn’t have to release. Clarification 2-2011 makes this clear. What we don’t have is a clear definition of what constitutes a collapsed maul. I think in general we would...
  12. B

I think it is a case of expediency. What else vould you call to get the ‘tackler’ to release? At a tackle the tackler has to release. You can’t call ruck because the criteria doesn’t apply. ‘Ball carrier to floor’ is not succinct enough and is not a clearly recognised phrase/instruction. Perhaps...
  13. B

Jumping over the tackle again

Perhaps we need to differentiate between a front on jump and a sideways tackle hurdle? The latter is less dangerous that the former I believe. Speaking as a highly skilful hurdler.:)
  14. B

Hurdling someone sounds so much more safe and skilful than jumping over someone:) Is that why we don’t have a 110M jumping race?
  15. B

Worcs v Quins - is it in or outside the 22 then?

When it was first suggested and then implemented I said that we needed a flag actually on the line to get over such problems. Just as we have on the in-goal corner. I believe one of the reasons we had a corner flag orignally was to determine where the ball rolled so what’s the difference?
  16. B

I’m just happy that I can carry on advising referees to do what I have been doing for the last fifty years!
  17. B

Law Clarification 3 2022. Jumping into a tackle

I think WR may be saying that we’ll let the referee decide and whatever the decision we will support them.
  18. B

I think the May incident is clouded by the fact that the tackler was coming in from the side. Would his action have been allowed if he had gone over a tackler standing/crouching in front?
  19. B

In the May case I think we had too much ‘up’ in a ratio to across or down. I’m sure the TMO could be given some sort of calculating software to determine the correct ratio.:)
  20. B

Perhaps we need to merge threads? I just posted a comment about Tom Daley in the other thread!