• Welcome to the new forums. Please can you take a few minutes to visit The Rugbyrefs.com Forum near the bottom and vote of the colour scheme to be used for new joiners many thanks Admin Team

Search results

1. Phil E

Foul Play and replacements...

It would be buried in an RFU communication from when interchanges first came into effect, but I will have a go at looking for it.
  2. Phil E

Referee Signals Quiz

Especially if you accompany it with "yeah but, no but, yeah but....Yada Yada Yada" 🤣
  3. Phil E

Scrum advantage before 80:00

At the end of the day, whatever you decide in these weird and wonderful rare situations, just make your decision confidently and everyone will go along with you. No one else knows the correct decision for sure, so they will look at you to make one.
  4. Phil E

Location of a penalty kick

You are correct. There are quite a few instances where the mark is on the 15m line, but none where it is on the 5m (from touch) line, unless that's where the infringement occurred.
  5. Phil E

Foul Play and replacements...

I can't see how this would happen either but I suppose anything's possible. Just cancel and reverse the substitution, show the card and start again from there. Thinking about it I have come across incidents in the weeds where a team knowing a player is likely to get carded hurriedly change him...
  6. Phil E

Maul to ruck and end of maul question

It has to be "immediately" available to be played. It does not have to be played "immediately". But I think that's what everyone meant, even if it isn't what everyone said ;)
  7. Phil E

Seatbelt Tackles

Oh yes, don't get me wrong, I explained to the Club Ref there was no change in law and it was still to be penalised, but just wondered if anyone else was hearing this myth?
  8. Phil E

Seatbelt Tackles

On Sunday I had an experienced Club Referee say to me "seat belt tackles are legal now aren't they?" It was more of a statement than a question. He is not the first person to say this to me recently, I have had at least two coaches say the same thing. Has anyone else heard this? Has anyone...
  9. Phil E

Sin Bin

I see your small man on a small chair and raise you with a large man on a large (sponsored) chair :D
  10. Phil E

FK for exceeding 1.5m push at scrum

If the dominant scrum keep pushing past an initial 1.5m there is a serious risk of collapse and injury. So they get penalised for ignoring the law. However referees should be assisting in this by shouting "HOLD" or "STOP" when they get to the 1.5m stage. That way you take away the need for a...
  11. Phil E

Where are you this weekend - 2021/22?

Beach body ready? 💪💪💪
  12. Phil E

Age-grade line-out lifting

That's why I said its usually best to manage it ;)
  13. Phil E

For me an early lift is usually combined with or caused by a delayed throw by the hooker, which is also an offence? That's why it's usually best to manage it in the first instance.
  14. Phil E

I have an U16 game on Sunday, the first for them with contested lineouts. Should be interesting :unsure:
  15. Phil E

Yes indeed, it usually goes like this.... Thrower is about to throw. Opposition go up in anticipation. Thrower gets confused and doesn't throw. Opposition hold their man up waiting for the throw. Throwing team put their man up just in case and hold him up there. PEEP! "OK chaps, this is really...
  16. Phil E

What a surprise a coach got the law wrong! Wonder who was leading the lineout course? Early lifting is prohibited in Law and the Age Grade Regulations don't mention it, so stick with Law.
  17. Phil E

Tights

Exactly. Spot on, same as if they didn't wear a shirt.
  18. Phil E

Tights

No. They must wear what is listed in Law 4.2 There are then additional items that are permitted, including tights or leggings. Law 4 A player wears a jersey, shorts and underwear, socks and boots. The sleeve of a jersey must extend at least half-way from the shoulder point to the elbow...
  19. Phil E

Advice on "water-carriers" not leaving the field of play quickly enough

Water carriers are allowed to come on at a stoppage of play, however this permission can be removed by the referee if it is abused. If they are taking the proverbial I would suggest making a big show of stopping the clock every time they come on the pitch and don't restart it until they leave...
  20. Phil E

Maul to ruck and end of maul question

I've merged the two threads. MOD