• Welcome to the new forums. Please can you take a few minutes to visit The Rugbyrefs.com Forum near the bottom and vote of the colour scheme to be used for new joiners many thanks Admin Team

Search results

1. O

Advice on "water-carriers" not leaving the field of play quickly enough

Warn them that you will rescind your general permission to enter the field and make them ask each time.
  2. O

New law clarification from WR

They seem to have borrowed from the scrum law: 19.29 [...]at least one foot level with or behind the ball.
  3. O

New law clarification from WR

... or be put onside by teammates running past them?
  4. O

New Forum Feedback

Nor is this - but thanks anyway.
  5. O

Scrum advantage before 80:00

I assume you are arguing that the fact of the ball being in touch constitutes the award of a lineout? The referee usually only blows his whistle if there is some doubt (as here). In the case of a knock-on, I am arguing that the time when the referee blows his whistle to stop play and allow a...
  6. O

When a scrum offence takes place, the time it occurs must surely be deemed to be the moment of the offence, not the moment the referee blows his whistle or indicates that he is playing advantage. If you don't do it that way, you end up with the situation where the speed with which the referee...
  7. O

Surely a scrum is awarded when the offence occurs. There was no advantage, so the referee goes back to the offence. Law 5 allows for this 5.7.1 A half ends when the ball becomes dead after time has expired unless: A scrum, lineout or restart kick following a try or touchdown, awarded before...
  8. O

Scotland's first try

Intention to be in a position to catch the ball. In other words it limits quite where he can go. It is NOT the same as implying he MUST be used to catch the ball (if possible).
  9. O

Scotland's first try

Then there wouldn't be anyone left to catch the ball! The law says nothing about intention, nor is intention a necessary interpretation.
  10. O

Like's count being returned

Many thanks for your efforts.
  11. O

Scotland's first try

So you are saying that if the ball is not passed to him, he becomes illegal? Suppose the catcher is unable to make a clean catch and pass, but only just manages to knock the ball back to the scrum half. Is the peeler then illegal? You are over reading the provision. It does not say "so as...
  12. O

Wal v Aus: Coach Verbally Attacks Officials

That particular decision is the only 30-1 case I have ever seen. More often it is purely partisan opinion, when a rule of thumb is no help.. I have quoted before a game where the referee failed to turn up and a random spectator volunteered to referee. When he penalised his own team for not...
  13. O

Scotland's first try

The law does not say anything about intention. You are choosing to infer it . .
  14. O

It's what you use when you haven't got anything better. It did not apply in the specific case. The players may have applied it, but the referee knew better, (and was right).
  15. O

I dislike your last comment. At the bottom levels, the referee will usually know the laws far better than the players. I recall a game at the lowest league level where the referee decided to call off the game with one team losing by something like 120-0. The losers were pleased, but weren't...
  16. O

It would still have been wrong. The referee saw it correctly at the time. Why should he bow to an incorrect belief by the players?
  17. O

Was Lewis Robbed?

My view is that Masi did not want the ending of the race to be a damp squib, so he "orchestrated" a semi-artificial situation. Hard to justify under the regulations. How on earth did he justify allow only some cars to unlap themselves!!
  18. O

Which style should be Default

Default is fine for me.
  19. O

WWE

Historical evidence makes it pretty certain that WWE did not convert Rugby football from a kicking game to a handling one, but he is nonetheless a Person Of Interest, so I have been searching the relevant nineteenth censuses for more information about him. No luck at all! We know from other...
  20. O

Premiership final

The Premiership final was an exciting game won by the better team on the day. However to me that does not validate the current system whereby the winner of the marathon (league fixtures) has to win a couple of sprints to be awarded the title. Only 4 times out of 15 has the league winner also...