Search results

1. SimonSmith

Refereeing niggle in U14 to U16 age groups

"I've explained how I saw it. You clearly disagree, and it seems we're not going to get any closer on this, so I suggest we move on"
  2. SimonSmith

Refereeing niggle in U14 to U16 age groups

I think the youngest age group I refereed was U15. That said, when I was just starting, my weekend routine in Hampshire was adults on the Saturday, and then Youth on a Sunday - usually Winchester, Petersfield or Basingstoke. My general observations are: Sometimes, you just aren't dealing with...
  3. SimonSmith

RC player appears as touch judge

"yeah, but it wasn't, like, a serious red" The Defence, probably.
  4. SimonSmith

Do you mind wearing this mic

I envy you the fact that the captain tried to listen and tried to pass the message on.
  5. SimonSmith

Which is really the litmus test. i'm not going to say this fella did much wrong. We have a really short clip, decontextualizing what happened. It's also fair to assume that he knows his audience and what will work. Side note: Ben O'Keeffe gave him two thumbs up on social media for how he...
  6. SimonSmith

Opinion seems to vary on it. This came up in one of my games last season, and the captain took issue with it. My rebuttal of "Your players appeal for everything, right or wrong, and mostly wrong. You have one in the bin for dissent. I have asked you how many times to get better control of your...
  7. SimonSmith

Co-captain

Amusingly, this came across my social media today. You don;t need to read the whole thing, but scroll down to the very bottom.... https://www.goffrugbyreport.com/news/op-ed-response-virginia-womens-rugby-criticism
  8. SimonSmith

Co-captain

Sometimes you just know the punchline before it's delivered!
  9. SimonSmith

Player red carded in an unsanctioned friendly 10s match at the field of a 15s tournament, is the player out for the day at the tournament?

I don't mean to be rude, but it's been a long day and I'm about done with humanity. is your Google broken or something?
  10. SimonSmith

Player red carded in an unsanctioned friendly 10s match at the field of a 15s tournament, is the player out for the day at the tournament?

This whole thing is symptomatic of some of the issues facing USA Rugby. To give my comments that follow some context, I'll lay out my USA experience - not for Kudos, but so you can see I have experience whereof I speak. I ran a Ref Soc for 10 years; I was a Discipline Chair for 10 years, on the...
  11. SimonSmith

The disciplinary process has already happened. If another DC decides to suspend that player, he has an immediate appeal, and I'd allow it. And before you ask, I've been a Disciplinary Chair, and heard appeals from various Unions. Dismissing a second hearing wouldn't take 30 seconds of brain...
  12. SimonSmith

Except Discipline is Regulation 17, and not Law. And except for the fact that under USA R, tournament organizers MUST appoint someone to handle discipline prior to the tournament.
  13. SimonSmith

What a week.

Yes. A real life Black Knight.
  14. SimonSmith

What a week.

Nobody told us. We'd all lined up for the national anthem, which was led by an Honor Guard. And then the three MOs looked at each other and wondered "have you got the match ball?" to which everyone answered "no. You?" So we stood there, and in the background there was a 'whomp whomp' noise...
  15. SimonSmith

What a week.

West Point,, with the match ball delivered by parachute, was special. I'm always excited by any kind of finals rugby, no matter the level and no matter where it's played.
  16. SimonSmith

Co-captain

I'm too grumpy for that to work too well on me. But I did watch them wrap a newish referee right round their fingers. I warned him what was about to happen, and he still fell for it. Took the chocolate they offered him, and he came off the pitch bemused as to why he hadn't issued the card the...
  17. SimonSmith

Co-captain

It isn't unheard of - yes, Navy Women, you - to have two captains: One is the tactical play calling genius. The other is the one sent to charm the referee and keep him onside.
  18. SimonSmith

I had a conversation about this kind of thing professionally, with a colleague who was worried about the person we were having to do an investigation recording us. My guidance ended up being "you only need to be worried about being recorded if you think you're actually going to say something...
  19. SimonSmith

I suspect that if that were the case, then every Society member would refuse the request.
  20. SimonSmith

RFU law variations approved to lower tackle height

They can change law applications ETA: actually, they can change laws. RFU replacement variations are a change to the law book.