Search results

1. O

law change thought

Times report on France v Wales 17 February 1920 "Both sides made the most of the last five minutes' play otherwise the Welsh and French half-backsould hardly be excused for putting the ball into the scrummage so keenly during that period. Eventually the referee, who had been moderate, and at...
  2. O

Dived on player on ground

Reductio ad absurdum (You're welcome)
  3. O

RFU Council approves lowering of the tackle height across community rugby in England from 2023/24

In 1871 the laws did not specify any pitch dimensions. The first international took place that year and since England and Scotland had different law books, they had to agree several points. The actual dimensions that year were 120 yards by 55 yards, whereas in the rematch in England the...
  4. O

Proud dad moment

I'm not aware of a Chris White referee's changing room, but I have been inactive for some time now.
  5. O

Proud dad moment

IIRC I was actually appointed to one of your son's games in Gloucesterhire some years ago. Congratultions to him.
  6. O

Tackling in the air or dangerous play?

Walking rugby already exists.
  7. O

Time flies...

My mistake - I refereed a few games when my club didn't have a ref appointed, but I was fast tracked into assessing rather than regular refereeing. (Much less impressive!)
  8. O

Time flies...

9. O

Time flies...

I played until I was 66 (never at a high level) and gave up when my knees did. Just at that time the RFU introduced a scheme for fast tracking "experienced players" into refereeing - a former team mate was by then Chairman of the local referee society, so I joined. As a player I had always...
  10. O

Line out History

Is that an offence?
  11. O

Condescending Refereeing

"Verbing weirds language" (Calvin and Hobbes https://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/1993/01/25)
  12. O

Line out History

Why?
  13. O

Line out History

Are you claiming the dive was illegal?
  14. O

Condescending Refereeing

The female refs I know are quite happy to be addressed as "Sir". It implies equality.
  15. O

Line out History

No he didn't. Footage of the incident shows that a Welsh player had a hand on an opponent's shoulder to hold him down. The referee pointed to it as he awarded the PK.
  16. O

foward pass / TMO

Even in the nineteenth century it was accepted that a "poster" was a legal goal. Chopper was unncessarily pedantic about current application of the laws. I have often pointed out that the so-called laws are not written to full legal standards (just as well - they would be virtually unreadable...
  17. O

foward pass / TMO

Not always. For example he argued that a conversion that went too high did not pass "between" the posts.
  18. O

foward pass / TMO

I don't see anyway (absent special gismos) to avoid a judgement call by the officials.
  19. O

foward pass / TMO

That raises the old problem of whether the ball actually has to move backwards relative to the ground. I think we agree that it doesn't, but that is not forced by the wording you propose.