Search results

1. T

Penalty Try *and* penalty restart

A re-start after a score is different from a re-start after foul play when the ball was already dead; in this case though they are in the same place.
  2. T

World Rugby phased plan to grow the sport

Sadly another situation where TV is driving the game. Still I expect they will want to do something about the scrum feed or we will end up with no scrum at all which is no good for the players of sizes and shapes at community level. No community game = no professional game in ten years time.
  3. T

Penalty Try *and* penalty restart

In the table for Law 20.1 second item; play restarts with a PK where play would normally restart i.e. half way
  4. T

So when is Rassie Erasmus gong to get sanctioned for coaching on the field?

Some great examples of lineout thrower's feet on the pitch in the six nations last weekend.
  5. T

Juggling ball now NOT in possession

That's an early tackle, not a juggle to be seen when the tackler makes first contact..
  6. T

France v Italy - potential spoiler

Everyone seemed to get confused between a conversion and a penalty kick. They are professional players, they should know the laws. The ref is a professional ref, he should know the laws. I know TV rugby is supposed to be different but I wish it wasn't. Yet another rod for the back of the...
  7. T

Where are you this weekend - 2023/24?

Loughborough students on an artificial pitch?? Good work out for you!
  8. T

In touch?

So many of the current laws are to "enhance" TV rugby -they only make life more difficult for the Mortals -particularly those of us who used to be "Piano Shifters". If only all refs had ultra slo-mo replay available we might get more accurate decisions (as long as there was only one person...
  9. T

We might need skis, or flippers depending on the temperature.
  10. T

Offside after a kick Bath vs Gloucester

For the sake of the game from top to bottom MAKE IT SIMPLE! Have I forgotten something or did you not always have to retire if you were in front of the kicker until you were put onside by them or another onside player ?????
  11. T

Quiet weekend

Technically yes, but it would be a hard sell to get players to believe you. By slapping backwards with a hand they could claim "I still had possession"
  12. T

Please leave the place clean and tidy.
  13. T

Congratulations on your promotion. :unsure:
  14. T

Are you ready for .... <drumroll> Player Mic !!

Re; Commentators -I was pulled up very early in my reffing career for disputing a TV decision. " He is an IRB ref, worked his way up through the game, assessed at every game by a former international ref, appointed to this game because he is the best suited to it -and you are saying he got this...
  15. T

Kicker wearing Sunglasses

My last game at Workington was in brilliant sunshine all through -at the end the shadows of players were 30m long with the sun just over the horizon at one end of the pitch. I did not bother with sun cream as the multi-multi-layered clothing protected most of the important bits.
  16. T

Shot Clock Why?

On a game management point; this can become a point of friction if one team perceives the kicker is taking the mickey out of them. The kicker is entitled to his 60/90 as a maximum, perhaps they might be asked nicely to get on with it -of course, if they decline you have to manage the receiving...
  17. T

Calling the Mark

From Law Definitions - Directly caught: A ball caught without first touching anyone else or the ground
  18. T

How Do you mark the Line out? Just curious.

On the contrary, make it as easy as you can get away with. If it works for the players you must be doing OK, if it needs adjusting- solve that problem. Don't go looking for problems throughout the game, step in when you have to.
  19. T

How Do you mark the Line out? Just curious.

At the start of a game I like to see two clear marks so players know the refs expectations. After that go with what works -and if you have a problem, solve it.
  20. T

What is the sanction for Law 6.30?

I only ever had to do this once -it was the swivelling eyeballs that gave him away. Both attendants agreed (fortunate, but it would have made no difference) but still the player protested -DONT listen to the player who has just been bashed on the head!