Search results

1. AlanT

"Tackle Only"

This phrase was called out by WB in the SF more than once. What is the point?
  2. AlanT

RWC QF Cardiff - accommodation

Any ideas for accommodation for 2 around this match, please?
  3. AlanT

England v Italy Vinipola Try?

I thought the grounding was OK, but before that wasn't the ball on the Italian player who was on the ground and in contact with the touch in goal line. Therefore, ball out of play. No try?
  4. AlanT

Cape Town

Looks like I'll be heading for Cape Town in April for 2-3 months. It would be good to get some reffing in. Any contacts anyone?
  5. AlanT

Hants 1 Rules / Regs

Can someone provide a link, please. [Been struggling to find on web or get email responses from a cople of people].
  6. AlanT

Easter

Can anyone suggest any sevens happening over easter that might be short of refs?
  7. AlanT

4th Official - any info / tips

I may get the chance to be 4th official at the Rugby Legends match at the the Stoop next week. Haven't done the role before - any info / tips, please?
  8. AlanT

Any Kent Refs on here?

I have an exchange coming up and would like some info insights off line, please.
  9. AlanT

Ball dead after hitting tree?

Ball kicked out and hits tree. Player grabs ball and takes a QT. No lineout formed. Was the ball dead when it hit the tree and therefore no QT allowed? I let them play on, then teammate of QT-er told me it had hit a tree and was therefore dead. Thoughts?
  10. AlanT

First Assessment in a L9 game

As an L10 I did my first match at L9 a couple of weeks ago (ref numbers are a bit short at the moment, but I'm delighted to get these opportunities). That one went well for the 1st half but 2nd half suffered a bit from not being used to keep higher concentration levels going throughout. So, I...
  11. AlanT

Reffing up a few levels

Had a great opportunity on Saturday to answer a question that had been on my mind for some time. Was due to do L11 game, but home 2nd team L8 had no ref so I was asked to switch matches. Anyone else had this sort of thing happen? Really enjoyed it. Good feedback from both sets of players /...
  12. AlanT

Influenced by the Ground?

I did a match last weekend. Not my best, not my worst, but I have reffed at this ground 4 times now and I've never been at my best there. Could be co-oncidence, but I've started wondering if I need to up my mental preparation for this place. It's a council playing field used for different...
  13. AlanT

Scot v Eng Kick out of SH hands

Scottish player takes ball out of ruck under the England posts. Ball then in hand about a foot off the ground. England [onside] player kicks ball out of Scottish player's hands. Penalty to Scotland? Instead England win ball, go down field, Scottish player gets YC, England get 3 points and win...
  14. AlanT

U18 Squeezeball

I have always reffed this as I was told on my first course - no squeezeball allowed under any circumstances. Now there is a view that it's OK provided that hte player doesn't get into the position that the law was triggered by, ie player with head towards opposition, lying face down and with...
  15. AlanT

Grounding

What's the call ... Attacker runs into goal. In placing the ball downwards (assume exactly vertical direction) seems to lose control but you are not sure if it was loss of control just before grounding. Attacker runs away (no second attempt at grounding). Defender gets to ball and applies...
  16. AlanT

They almost convinced me!

Did my highest level mens match of the season on Saturday and so many of them had the same opinion that they got me wondering if I was right. Two examples from linouts. 1. One team had two players chasing up their touch kicks who on arrival at the LOT would call "Marked", apparently to draw my...
  17. AlanT

U16 Boys County Game

I have been given Sussex U16B v Hants U16B next week. Any tips / protcols I should be aware of?
  18. AlanT

Pulling down a ruck

Why is it OK to pull down a ruck but not a maul?
  19. AlanT

Second time in 4 years

...that my match has been called off after I've travelled to it. First was 10 miles away last season whre a girls team just didn't turn up. Second one was today after 40miles trip - game called of for waterlogged pitch. Home team had a number for me that was 3 years out of date, but it was...
  20. AlanT

New York Sevens

I'll be flying back later today from NY having ref'd in the Sevens here on Saturday. I was going to wait till I got back to report in but Greg has already been nagging me!!! 8:20 am start - my first match at 8:40 - so up at 6:30 for the Subway and cab journey to Randall's Island. The pitches...