Search results

1. talbazar

[Maul] Forming a Maul - Or not?

Hi All, I did have a look but didn't find this exact subject. So accept my apologies if it's already somewhere. That could happen in open play, but most often than not in a line out, so that's the scenario I'll describe. Blue vs. Red Line out, Blue throw in. Blue Second pod jumps and catches...
  2. talbazar

[Tackle] M. Machenaud RC - Top14 Final

Dear Fellow Referees, What do you make of this one? I know the precept of: "you bring him up, you're responsible for him" And I agree with it. But, I have two questions here: 1. Does anyone (else) believe that it really looks like Giteau is "diving" to make sure he falls on the head? 2. If...
  3. talbazar

[Line out] Quick Line Out vs. Quick Throw in

Something struck me tonight as I was AR'ing and I'd like to run it through the eminent members of this community. Quick Throw In: Restriction of same ball, not being touched, etc... Can be taken backwards Taken anywhere between where the Line Out would take place and the try line. That's my...
  4. talbazar

That should never be seen in our game - Kolelishvili vs. Barnes

Hi All, This is something that should never be seen in our game. I'm stunned that Barnsey only gave a penalty for this... Has anyone got any further information? Article and short video...
  5. talbazar

Bollywood version of rugby

Because of the referee outfit I could have added that at the end of the (in?)famous "leggings" thread but I thought it was worth a new one... A few infringements in the video below, but a good laugh nevertheless: Some more on USA Seven's Facebook page: Facebook :biggrin:
  6. talbazar

Just Barnsey - Wales vs. Ireland

I came across this: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yoKdJb5Rbr0 It's the full game with only the crowd and the ref as sound track! Great watch and great listen. Was wondering: does anyone here has more of these? Cheers, Pierre.
  7. talbazar

Chiefs vs. Highlanders - 2nd Penalty Try

Hi All, Highlights of the game HERE. The weird Yellow Card is discussed HERE. I'm interested in the 2 Penalty Tries on scrums... First one, at about 3:20 in the highlights above Clear dominance from the Chiefs (in Black), the full Highlanders Scrum (in Green) collapses. C&O, no problem with...
  8. talbazar

France - Argentina: advantage (?) in the last 5 minutes

Hi All, The last 5 minutes of the France Argentina game last Saturday saw France hammering Argentina's line while the later displayed an awesome defense. You can see it here, from 1:54:00 on the video's timeline: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAv83Dps7c4 The sequence is roughly as...
  9. talbazar

U19 Scrum formation - Questions

Guys and Gals, I've highlighted in the U19 Law variation below the points which make me wonder how to manage the situation when one team is down to 14. Example: Blue vs. Red. Red forward yellow carded. Next scrum 20.1 Forming a scrum (e) In an 8 person scrum the formation must be 3-4-1, with...
  10. talbazar

Red Card for verbal abuse - SA Ref video

Hi All, Saw the below video on our Society FB page: I'm a bit surprised here and I think I'm missing a few things. I'd love your understanding of what actually happened... Here are the points I'd particularly like clarification about: 1. What did the player actually say, literally...
  11. talbazar

Tackled player not releasing the ball - What do you think?

Dear All, I was lucky enough to ref a pretty good 7's tournament last weekend and even luckier to get a DVD for all my games. I've extracted the 4 decisions below as I would like your views on them. All are for the same infringement (tackled player not releasing the ball) and I'd love to...
  12. talbazar

Kick taken in the in-goal - Law 21.4.(g)

Alright, I was looking for something else but stumbled onto this in the law book: 21.4.(g) Kick taken in the in-goal. If a player retires into in-goal to take a penalty or free kick awarded in the field of play and a defending player by foul play prevents an opponent from scoring a try a...
  13. talbazar

Law Clarification 1:2014 - Knock-on

Hi All, Have you all seen this? Clarification - 1 – 2014 Union - SARU Law Reference - 12 Date - May 9, 2014 Request Law 12 – Knock-on Law 12, definition states, “a knock-on occurs when a player loses possession of the ball and it goes forward, or when a player hits the ball forward with hand...
  14. talbazar

Comments and view appreciated on these...

Hi All, I had ref'ed a 10's tournament over the weekend. Saturday only actually... Great fun even with 10 games for the day. Anyway, I have two of my decisions I'd like comments on if you'd care. First one - Gold vs. Blue Penalty against Blue for infringement in a ruck on the 50m line Gold SH...
  15. talbazar

Crusaders vs. Hurricanes - Forward Pass, seriously?

We all thanked the effort from the IRB (with videos and all) to define clearly what a forward pass is and particularly the fact that one shouldn't look at how the ball travels but how it leaves the ball carrier's hands. Didn't we? Well, it looks like Ref and TMO for this yesterday's Super 14...
  16. talbazar

Advantage on wheeled scrum?

Quick one from my Saturday's game (a nice friendly between 1st XV and 2nd XV of the same club). Scrum White wheeled by Gold. Nothing wrong on the FR that I can see. Ball pops out of the scrum and Gold flanker picks it up... Well almost... Knock-on! I called it back, wheeled scrum. Scrum Gold...
  17. talbazar

Scrum management question

Lots of scrums in my game yesterday... First scrum of the game, I see this: - Green TH prop's shoulders getting below his hips - Green TH prop's feet moving out from the scrum having him pushing inwards - Blue LH prop's left shoulder collapsing - Blue LH prop finally collapsing to the ground...
  18. talbazar

Number 8 unbind...

From my game yesterday. Blue Scrum Half asked me a clarification during the game but didn't really get my answer. So we had a god chat after the game and I'd like to validate (or being told wrong for) my interpretation of: 20.10.(c): Hindmost player unbinds. The hindmost player in a scrum is...
  19. talbazar

H Cup: YC against Nakaga - Racing vs. Clermont

Hi All, Has anyone seen this event? It's at 3min37sec here (that's the best video I found sorry) It looks like YC not being enough he's been cited too and is currently suspended awaiting his judgement. Did I really miss something or is it close to ridiculous? Thoughts? Cheers, Pierre.
  20. talbazar

That law you might have read once but will never apply...

Hi All, I'm sure there are actually quite a few of those. So more for banter than for anything else I decided to ask you if you have any other in mind... I read this when I got back to the law book for answering a different thread (I honestly didn't remember even reading it) 4.6 Wearing other...