Search results

1. R

U’15s lineout …. In the spirit of the game or not ? ….. how to defend it ??

So having read all these responses I confess to still being slight confused….. not hard !! I do think that when, for example the jumper ( who doesn’t jump ) catches the ball with 2 feet on the ground and is not bound to anyone HE CAN BE TACKLED. I totally disagree that he can’t happen at U15...
  2. R

I know what you mean, I’m not saying I’m a fan of it, but I just wanted to know ‘exactly’ what the law book thought of it. For me i agree that he can go round in this scenario…… until I read the next feed 😂
  3. R

Mmmmmm I’m not sure about that. When you say ‘contested’ surely this refers to in the air or what’s the point of this age grade progression ??
  4. R

Thanks CROSS ref… very helpful …… 🙄
  5. R

Morning, yes UK. I don’t LIKE the tactic, but as I said, if teams are going to use the ‘ground based’ line out as an attacking option then I feel it’s important that players have all options in their armoury.
  6. R

So, here’s a Sunday morning puzzler I’m having that I need help with. Despite trawling the web I still can’t find any real help with this one so here goes…. The U’15’s lineout. Before I go on, I know lifting is NOT mandatory at this age but I also know that progression is vital, so for me as...
  7. R

Picking up the ball - going to ground ??

Can I have some advice on this senerio please : Blue attacking and form a ruck. Red player comes through the gate and drives through the middle of the ruck and kicks the ball. Up to now I am happy that the player is legal and no issues. At exactly what stage can that red player go to ground...
  8. R

"Am I 10 sir"

Ref'd a game on Saturday and advanced a free kick forward 10 metres for what i said was preventing a team from taking a free kick quickly. The circumstances were that team 'A' were committing a good number of offences and were having penalties or free kicks awarded against them. I was being...
  9. R

Can flanker pick ball out of scrum ?

Gents, can someone clear this up for me. Providing the ball is hooked back beyond the front row is it legal for a flanker to pick the ball up ?
  10. R

Penalty 1 metre from goal line ??

Gents, this has happened twice in 2 weeks (again yesterday)for me and I am beginning to question my judgement. On both occasions I awarded a full penalty to the attacking side virtually on the opposition try line (1 metre out) - I made the mark which was 1 metre from the line - the defending...
  11. R

Scrum back or 22 Drop Out ??

Hi - Watched a game last week - attacking side kicked the ball into the defending sides in goal area - whilst the ball was still moving the defending winger placed one foot over dead ball line and applied 'downward pressure' on the ball, clearly expecting the ref to offer a scrum back at the...
  12. R

Not an enjoyable experience !! Advice ??

I ref'd my 4th game on saturday. The home side were reasonable ( no more ) but the away side were very poor. They arrived with 15 players and no subs, which in itself is not too much of an issue. They had a player injured and were down to 14. They were committing offence after offence and I...
  13. R

Offside or not - advice please

I did my 4th game of my ELRA Part 3 yesterday, Gravesend 4th versus Old Gravesendians 2's and made a couple of offside calls which I am not entirely convinced were correct - although having said this I made them firmly and stuck to my decision at the time. Scenerio 1 = Black versus Blue. Black...
  14. R

Players must leave and re-join the maul ?

Advice please - I have looked everywhere but can't seem to find an answer to my question. When a maul is formed and moving forward at what point does a player have to leave the maul and rejoin ? Secondly, if the maul is formed can the 1st defending player stay where he is throughout the maul...
  15. R

Early Jumping in Lineout / Uncontested Scrums

Can anyone help me out on two points please : Firstly, can anyone point me in the direction of the law in relation to jumpers going up early in the lineout. It came up at the weekend and there was a mixed view point - some were saying its when the ball leaves the hookers hand and other saying...
  16. R

Rugby Ref's DVD - Any recommendations ?

Had my first senior game yesterday which I thought went very well, or at least far better than I'd expected. One issue was my positioning, I found myself a bit lost if I'm honest around at was my positioning, both in open play and at set pieces. Although I never actually got in the way of...
  17. R

1st Match as a Ref ..

Gents, I have finally made the plunge to take charge of a match this saturday down at my club,where I have played since 1993, to be honest I would rather it was somewhere else where I am not known. Any advice for your 1st game would be very much appreciated