Search results

1. Ian_Cook

This is a weird-ass try!!

OK guys and gals... pick the bones out of this one! My immediate question here is, if it had hit the Zambuck, is it still play-on?
  2. Ian_Cook

Quins v Worcs: Noah Heward YC

If this is what constitutes a YC these days, then heaven help the game... https://youtu.be/9it5QOfs1y4?t=108 (Note: if the time coded link doesn't work, the incident starts at 1:48 in the video) Blue 14 has almost ZERO chance to do anything about an opponent who jumps (completely...
  3. Ian_Cook

[In-goal] PK after the try - with a difference

Saw this while standing on the sideline watching a preseason club game last night.... Player does an Arlo* on the tryscorer after half time has expired, resulting in an immediate YC. After the conversion, the referee blew for half time, but stated that he would award a PK to the opponents...
  4. Ian_Cook

[Tackle] Dangerous tackle... or not

There is nothing Barrett could have done to avoid or mitigate what happened here. I have seen referees give YC for this, but I agree 100% agree with the decision the TO4 made here. Its good to see some common-sense coming back into rugby refereeing at this level.
  5. Ian_Cook

Congratulations to Rebecca Mahoney....

... who has become the first woman to referee a men's elite level rugby match in New Zealand http://mitre10cup.co.nz/News/34649/referee-rebecca-mahoney-set-to-achieve-another-historic-first
  6. Ian_Cook

Barnes to hang up the whistle - agrees with me about the TMO.

Wayne Barnes will retire after the RWC in 2019. Good interview here with Bob Kitson of The Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/aug/29/wayne-barnes-rugby-referee-retiring-tmo WB advocates something I have been championing for a long time - use the TMO just like the ARs; have them...
  7. Ian_Cook

Here's a WTF moment!

I have watched a lot of rugby over the years, especially in the weeds on the sidelines, but I have never seen this happen before. Its Green v White in a lower grade match (perhaps 3rds or 4ths), the play is a few metres in from the nearside touch in the middle between the 10m and halfway...
  8. Ian_Cook

Benjamin Fall's Red Card has been Rescinded

Yes, folks, its true... http://www.allblacks.com/News/32583/benjamin-fall-red-card-hearing-outcome "The Independent Judicial Committee found: “As demonstrated in the video footage, the Player, at all times, had his eyes on the ball whilst it was in the air, which showed, in our opinion, a...
  9. Ian_Cook

What can WR do about Red Cards ruining games for the fans?

I have been thinking long and hard about this problem for some time now. I think I have the basis for a solution that keeps the discipline, keeps the sanctions for the really serious offenders, but allows the referees more latitude in dealing with infringers fairly. I know this is never...
  10. Ian_Cook

Offside or Not?

Apologies for the poor quality video... I used a smartphone video off the TV screen Try was disallowed because the TMO ruled that Blue 15 was in front of Blue 9 even though the ball touched the White player in between times. The TMO said that the Whte player didn't play it intentionally...
  11. Ian_Cook

[Tackle] Bloody Creepers!!

I haven't posted here for a while, but the Super Rugby season has just started; we are into round four next week. I have been seeing something happening that is beginning to really annoy me, so time to vent! I am talking about "creepers", tackled players that crawl or creep forward, roll over...
  12. Ian_Cook

[Line out] Holding the lifted catcher in the air.

I have noticed an increasing trend with teams, especially on defence close to their goal-line, deliberately keeping their lineout catcher up to try to milk a PK for early driving. While it is the responsibility of the non ball-winning team to ensure they don't drive until the lifted catcher's...
  13. Ian_Cook

Thow to avoid touch

Just watching the Shute Shield match this afternoon, Randwick (Green) v Easts (Blue). Green 15 (Lachie Anderson) receives an inside pass from Green 11 (Reece Robinson) just inside the left hand touchline. Green 11 fell into touch, and because of the direction Green 15 was going when he received...
  14. Ian_Cook

Why wendyball players disrespect referees?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4083932/Booked-breaking-leg-Luton-s-Cameron-McGeehan-sees-yellow-pounding-Fratton-Park-pitch-agony-defeat-Portsmouth.html Whoever Tim Robinson is, I think he needs his head read if the reason he gave a YC was because the player was beating the...
  15. Ian_Cook

Ireland v Australia

Anyone see the incident for which Dean Mumm was YC? IMO, he is damned lucky he wasn't RC. The low speed dynamic that the referees were taking about is irrelevant, since tip tackles almost always happen when the victim is stopped anyway and then up-ended. Mumm lifted the player at the...
  16. Ian_Cook

Can slow motion replays really make things look worse than they are?

The recent furore over the Sam Cane v Robbie Henshaw collision in the second test between Ireland and New Zealand got me to thinking about the merits of using slow motion video to make judgements about potential foul play incidents in rugby. I think we have all heard the meme that sometimes...
  17. Ian_Cook

France v Australia: Kuridrani's try

IMO, the last Aussie try should have been no try, touch-in-goal. LAW 22.12 BALL OR PLAYER TOUCHING A FLAG OR FLAG (CORNER) POST If the ball or a player carrying the ball touches a flag or a flag (corner) post at the intersection of the touch-in-goal lines and the goal lines or at the...
  18. Ian_Cook

Danny Boy calling Broadsword

In case any of you were wondering, we seem to be all all fine here in Nelson. It was one helluva a shake though, just after midnight, a back and forth swaying motion that went on for about a minute. Very frightening, the house was creaking and rattling and a few books fell out of book shelves...
  19. Ian_Cook

New "Breakdown" Laws are heading for trouble

As I posted in Christy's Offside or Play On thread, there is an experimental law that will be trailed in the Mitre 10 Cup (formerly ITM Cup) this year. They are introducing the concept of a phase of play known as a "breakdown". There will no longer be a requirement for two players (one from...
  20. Ian_Cook

Australia v England 3rd test - unusual occurences

Two unusual things happened in the third test 1. A high kicked ball struck the spider-cam support wires NO said "50/50 Play on", which IMO (unless there has been specific ruling to cover this) is incorrect and a Law error. Law 19 Definitions The ball is in touch when it is not being carried...