Search results

1. C

France v Italy - potential spoiler

On Parissi's final kick, I am not sure that France were stationary with their hands by their sides? Is this requirement actually still in the law book? If the French did charge, could the ref have permitted the kick to be retaken? Do you agree that the French were not still?
  2. C

Yellow card after try, after time

There was a question on the Rolling Maul forum, I was not at the game so do not know the specifics, but want to check my understanding. Time had expired, green score a try, and the ref gave a yellow card to a blue player. Green score the conversion. If the card is for an offence before the try...
  3. C

Move to limit the distance the ball travels through the air

I see the R&A are changing the specification of a golf ball, to rein in tee shots by the top golfers. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/67634695 Do we think the IRB should do the same, to reduce the yardage gained through kicking and to encourage more running rugby?
  4. C

Orange Card

BBC are talking about an Orange Card for TV rugby, where there is doubt over a Red, on field referee sends the player off and then a second TMO reviews the decision during the ten minutes and decides if it needs to be upgraded. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/65253745 What does the team...
  5. C

Is the drop-kick dead?

As far as I can tell, most goal line drop-outs, restarts and even "drop goal" attempts are actually kicked before the ball strikes the ground, that is punted. Do we care?
  6. C

Line out History

To see just how good rugby used to be, I was watching Brian Moore play for England in 1985. This was before lifting, but what interested me was the throw. Brian, and the other hookers, took the ball back in two hands, then lobbed it in with one. Which of course meant very few throws actually...
  7. C

Touch

I was looking at the 50-22 law and noticed that there is no a combination of "where the ball reached the touch line" "where the player or ball touches the touchline or the ground beyond it." "where the ball reached the plane of touch." Does "reached the touchline" mean the same as "reached the...
  8. C

Cannot change a decision after the end of a match

The NCA have issued a statement about the Luctonians v Rotherham match which clarifies the law with regard to when a referee can change a decision. For those who have not been following, Rotherhan scored a try to level the scores right at the end of time. The conversion was initially signalled...
  9. C

Why no HIA

In today's (20th Feb) Falcons v Exeter match, there was a red card for direct contact to the head with force. Yet the injured player was not sent for a HIA. Surely this must be automatic in this case? There must be possible concussion, or what was the card for.
  10. C

[Law] Law variations

I note the Rainbow cup is going to start with the law variations, Captain's challenge, goal line drop out and red card replacement. I understand theee tried in Australia and new zealand - how did they go there?
  11. C

[Law] Neverending rugby?

I was watching the Champions Cup quaterfinals. In the last one, one side was down by 8 with the clock in the red and were intent on keeping the ball alive in an attamp to score - which is all commendable. But it is a cup game, so even if they had scored the try, time would be up and they woulld...
  12. C

[Law] Exeter Quins

The incident where Townsend lifts Dombrant's legs, before he picked up the ball. This caused him to bobble the ball, but get the pass away and Quins dot down. Brought back for the knock on and a penalty given for taking out Dombrant. Could the TO3 have thought about a penalty try?
  13. C

[Law] Superbowl - advantage question.

In Superbowl LV Tampa Bay were attempting a field goal when Kansas City gave away a penalty. After the flag was thrown -so effectively while plying advantage - the kick was good. Tampa Bay decided to turn down the score and accept the penalty which gave them a first down. This meant they...
  14. C

[Line out] England's line out tactics against georgia.

What did other people make of England's line out tactics against Georgia? The match was on Amazon Prime, I am not sure I can post links to the video. It seemed to me that on their own throw they were huddling, then walking up, setting up with a very large gap and immediately throwing to the...
  15. C

Covid law reforms

Apparently the plan is to ban free kicks being taken as scrums and reduce the time to use it in rucks and mauls. What does the collective think?
  16. C

[Scrum] 5m Scrum Penalty and Penalty try

Can I double check the requirements for awarding a PT after one or more scrum penalties? I do not believe the number of scrum penalties afftects the PT decision - but may lead to yellow cards. this in turn may lead to uncontested scrums. I believe there needs to be evidence that the scrum was...
  17. C

[Law] Question about the TMO

We know that in a tight international - especially a knock out game - the TMO will spend what seems like hours looking at video angles to determine if a try has been scored. However, I have never seen them look at a kick. Is the TMO permitted to look in close up to determine whather the ball...
  18. C

Western Province protest

Because of increased abuse, the Western Province Referees’ Society has, with regret, decided that it will not provide referees for club matches in the Western Province until such time as adequate steps are taken against those guilty of abuse, physical or verbal...
  19. C

[Ruck] I am confused

In World Rugby's recomendation for reduction of injuries we have the following In the laws we have What exactly is the difference.
  20. C

Soccer ref microphone

BBC has footage fo a top Australian ref miked up so you can here the chat with the players. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/47667239 it is interesting how similar it is to the conversations you here on rugby ref link.