Search results

1. L

50:22 from a free kick

Blue fly half on red’s 10m line, attempts cross field kick and red winger catches it in his 22 and calls a mark. He then taps it and kicks it indirectly into touch in blues 22. Is it a 50:22?
  2. L

U14 numbers

Hi, Been some confusion on games I have been involved with between clubs so seeking confirmation from this group please. The u14 laws state “the game is played between sides of equal numbers not exceeding 15”. This obviously doesn’t apply to yellow card situations which is 5 mins. Does it...
  3. L

Line out maul

What am I missing? Line out to blue. Red don’t engage. Blue bring the ball down and form their mail. This would happen immediately. Ball at the front. Under the new one person latched law, I assume they must either delatch to one person prior to a tackler engaging or run the risk of being...
  4. L

New law signals

Anyone know what the signals are for the new laws? Ie clear out on legs etc
  5. L

[Law] Dropping out of the line

Is it just me do refs not ping this any more?
  6. L

U14

Obviously we missed all of last year so have moved straight from u12 to u14 without playing any games. In order to prepare for next season in the hope we will be playing more normally, for u14 what is the process for line outs in England. Do the side throwing in have to win it? What is meant by...
  7. L

Covid-19 Returning to play in Sept?

I am becoming increasingly concerned that amateur rugby will not be possible next season. I just can’t see what will change between now and May next year that will mean scrums, mauls etc are safe. Being overweight is apparently a major contributor in complications for this virus, so putting...
  8. L

Law 15.7 binding onto player in the ruck

Some of the videos in the rugby laws app are baffling to me. Look at this one. White 18 gets pinged for playing the ball, just before yellow 9 does the same. Apparently this is an example of him not binding. Is he supposed to bind onto yellow 9 or will he then get pinged for playing the 9. There...
  9. L

[Law] Penalty here or scrum there!

What do you think the point of the scrum option is and have you ever had someone take? Do you even offer it ? Why don’t they just drop it?
  10. L

[Maul] U11 maul

I note the laws say the ball should be made available within 5 seconds of a maul being formed. Can I confirm therefore that this ‘use it’ requirement is in place even if the mail is moving forward? There is no reference in Appendix 5 to forward movement of a maul.
  11. L

Shoulder padding

Is there advice, guidance, protocol around when kids can where shoulder padding?
  12. L

[Mini/Midi] U9 tackle

Re the U9's tackle: Any contact below the arm pits of the ball carrier which results in a grip by the opponent of the ball carrier. Where the ball carrier remains on their feet the referee must call “TACKLE” (allow approx 3 secs to establish whether ball carrier held). Where ball carrier is...
  13. L

Shoving into touch

I heard today that shoving a player (with the ball) into touch instead of tackling him into touch should be a penalty (not using arms). Would you agree?
  14. L

New penalty positioning

Hi, What is your take on the new positioning of penalties for foul play ? i.e. in 15m's. Given the size of some local park pitches, this is almost in line with the posts and a huge advantage if the previous penalty would have been on the 5m touch line. Surely this means that kicking for goal...
  15. L

[Law] Pre binding

You will often see a front row forward receiving the ball off a ruck and trundle forward a few yards before being tackled. Close to the line, you often see someone pre bind to him to help his momentum. Two on one. When does this scenario become dangerous such that you would blow up ? three...
  16. L

Non contest linout - tackling the ball carrier

After one view what would you have given ? I assume we'll see more of this at the world cup and as a result probably more in club rugby next season. Better get my head round all the permutations ? Defending player gets his timing wrong - 5m's out - yellow car if maul beautifully formed ...
  17. L

Double movement

At a game on the weekend, the winger, clear through to score, tripped over his own feet and landed short of the line. He reached out to score, but the ball was a yard short. He then raised himself on one hand, shoved himself forward and reached out again, to put the ball on the line and score...
  18. L

Not contesting the ruck

What are your thoughts on this: http://www.the42.ie/analysis-chiefs-super-rugby-tactics-2013507-Mar2015/ Thanks simon
  19. L

Lazy runner offside

It was my understanding that a lazy runner is not offside in open play until a ruck, maul has formed (so long as he doesn't infringe the tackle area). Watch the attached video and please put me right. The scrum half break came direct from a ruck and all players advanced, retreated past that...
  20. L

2 man lineouts

When was the last time you saw a 15a side game where a side used a 2 man line ? They seem to have virtually disappeared. I don't really understand why, because when I was playing we always went to 2 or 3 man line, when we were losing our own line out ball. A good well practiced 2 or 3 man line...