Search results

1. C

Teamwork post Crusaders v Highlanders

So, Glen Jackson had a head clash with one of the Highlanders on Saturday and split his cheek open. And there's no team medic for referees... Or is there? This is why it's always handy when one of your AR's is an actual doctor. So Dr Ben O'Keefe stitched Glen up - but in a good way this time!
  2. C

Refereeing your partner

This is a hypothetical, because I don't referee the grade my bloke plays in anyway, but what do yous all think about whether or not a referee should officiate in a match their partner is playing in? I think Steve Walsh and Melodie Robinson were dating while Robinson was still playing, so the...
  3. C

Referee dies during u-13 game

At work, and just put this story through onto the website. Ref dies during kids rugby game Don't know what to say really - my thoughts are with his family, and the Marlborough/Tasman referees.
  4. C

my weekend of pain

Or shave their head! /shamelessshowingoff Best of luck Dickie, hope you've good shoes and very expensive socks!
  5. C

Haves vs Have Nots

This isn't strictly rugby related, but it often strikes me as I referee games between schools with strikingly different demographics. That is - one is rich, the other is poor. A few weeks ago I had St Kentigern vs Otahuhu College. Otahuhu didn't have a full set of jerseys - they had borrowed...
  6. C

Abuse... But not at me

I have seen this happen every season, so I figure it'd be good to get some ideas on how to handle it. Basically, I often hear parents and coaches abusing their own team. Yelling at their kids when they make mistakes or are 'not trying hard enough.' This happens a lot once you get to U13, but...
  7. C

Oh help, I'm supposed to teach these guys something

I'm running a 'rugby 101' session with some very new rugby players (many have never played before) tomorrow night, as a kind of thanks for letting me get in on their trainings because if I'm left to train by myself I will go mad. But where to start? What to teach? How to not look like an idiot?
  8. C

Should I bring my boots?

I'm going to be in Melbourne from the 14th to the 21st of March. While rugby isn't at the top of my agenda, I just thought I'd mention it in case anyone needs an AR or something ;)
  9. C

Aussie websites for kit buying?

Are there any particularly good/cheap sites for buying kit in Australia? I feel like taking advantage of the fact our dollar has almost hit parity and the fact I'm going to Melbourne soon to order some gear and send it to my cousin. Free shipping would be a bonus.
  10. C

"Oh, hey uncle..."

Okay, since I've seen it in three games so far, this is officially a thing. A really baffling thing. It is time for a conversion! On comes the kicking tee - along with one or two children. Team waterbearers or whatever. They hand the tee to the kicker and then proceed to have a conversation...
  11. C

Dedicated AR's?

There was a point of discussion at the refs meeting last Monday about having refs train as dedicated AR's. So rather then have refs chopping and changing between two different skill sets, there'd be AR's who were able to focus more on the skills they need to run the line. Also, the idea of...
  12. C

Sponsor me to get a haircut?

I am shaving my head for two reasons - To stop being compared to teen pop singers (last year it was Justin Beiber, this year One Direction) and to raise money for the New Zealand Cancer Society. They supported me and my family when my dad had cancer and they do great work generally. Any and all...
  13. C

Otago rugby union in liquidation

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10788454 So, it seems that rugby is indeed a business, and in the deep south that business has failed. The ORFU is going into liquidation, which means they may not be able to field a team for the ITM Cup. The NZRFU isn't going to...
  14. C

Great Refereeing Quotes

Nigel Owens' "This is not soccer" put me in mind of my favourite in-game quote, from Andre Watson sometime around 2001 "It's a ruck, not a beach, don't just lie there!" What are yous guys favourite ref quotes?
  15. C

Forty days and forty nights

Otherwise known as "Constantine turns to religion to break a chocolate addiction, because nothing else has worked." Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, which is the start of Lent. I'm not a particularly devout Anglo-Catholic, but I have given up something for Lent in the past. (Sugary soft drinks and...