Search results

1. J

Are you ready for .... <drumroll> Player Mic !!

I always thought it would be neat if they could incorporate tech to solve this problem, in this day and age. Maybe not until the day everyone's got a self driving car...
  2. J

Kicker wearing Sunglasses

Fair point. What about at a penalty kick for points? Obviously if missed, it's play on, so the kicker would need to ditch the sunglasses in haste, but putting that aside for a minute since technically true for the kicking tee too.
  3. J

Sure, but does that mean they wouldn't be allowed at any other stoppages before the game's over either?...e.g. at half-time while the team is circled around the far corner of the pitch. I don't disagree btw, I think your point is fair. Just playing devil's advocate.
  4. J

Shot Clock Why?

Sounds like my typical Saturday, at the level I play at. 😆
  5. J

Not that I see a stake in this either way, but just curious, why care?...What potential harm on the game does it have? (The opposition could surely do the same if they wanted, so it's not an unfair advantage thing, IMO.)
  6. J

Ball in Hand or on Ground?

Agreed. The ball is barely leaving the hands in some of them too.
  7. J

Shot Clock Why?

Sorry, perhaps poor choice of words. I meant that the kicking team lapsed their time without consequence from the ref, as they allowed play on with the kick every time I've seen it.
  8. J

Shot Clock Why?

Fair question. I often find it lapse, inconsequentially, frequently at lower levels, like what I play at, too. As a captain, if I'm confident it elapsed, I normally look at the ref and make a gesture pointing to my wrist to make them aware, but I've always been shrugged away. lol.
  9. J

Knock on from a last play kick off

The scrum doesn't have to be played and I would normally end the game there, under the assumption it wasn't intentional. An intentional knock on would be a penalty, and then the game would continue instead of ending, with the ball being given to the non-offending team. A team would have to...
  10. J

Ball in Hand or on Ground?

Not really the same thing but tangentially related you reminded me of. I've always been one of the few to recognize a good opportunity for taking a quick tap penalty, at the level I typically play at. But one game I recall, I took one in hand, started breaking away, and for some reason I thought...
  11. J

Offside after a kick Bath vs Gloucester

I would say this might be ok. 20m away is significantly different than 10m (it's almost the distance of scoring in the in-goal from the 22m, to paint a picture), for sure. I'd be more ok with this if that's what the law was, not that it would make the ref's job any simpler unfortunately. A...
  12. J

What type of restart occurs when the attacking team kicks the ball out the back of the defending teams in-goal?

True, that I definitely would penalize as dangerous. But I think potentially less dangerous (depending on the exact scenario) for an attacking player to grubber a ball on the ground when a defender is on the ground somewhat close to it.
  13. J

Scrum on halfway

Interesting point about the hooker kicking forward. What if the attacking team won the scrum before the drive, and kept possession of the ball on their side of the scrum as it was driven in?
  14. J

Forgive me for my ignorance but I don't follow your response. Which part of my comment was that in reply to?
  15. J

Scrum on halfway

What about a similar scenario where the mark for the scrum is just outside the 22m, it's the defending team's put in, but they get driven back into their own 22m. Who brought ball into the 22m, the defending team because it's their put in, or the attacking team who drove the scrum?
  16. J

What type of restart occurs when the attacking team kicks the ball out the back of the defending teams in-goal?

Yea, one could argue that, I don't disagree. I've gotten away with it a few times myself.
  17. J

Heh, I find myself instinctively doing this all the time when I drop something, usually my cell phone, lol.
  18. J

I'd say no, because 30m away is a reasonable enough distance for the ball carrier to be able to make a decision to run the ball as opposed to always kicking or passing it away. There's virtually no pressure with an opposing player who's that far away. Also, aren't you put back onsides once the...
  19. J

Assuming you mean for the attacking player who kicked the ball?
  20. J

I was thinking the same as crossref on this recently. 10m is really not that far from the guy receiving the ball. Most times they are making a decision to kick or pass the ball because of the defender who is only 10m away in front of them. Obviously if there was no defender there, that ball...